gaiters

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I am glad someone finally asked this question. I have used gaiters while cross country skiing but never saw a need while hunting but have been curious why I see and hear of so many other people using them while hunting.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They're great for rain or wet grass. In tall wet grass my pants get soaked, then my socks, then the water goes down the top of my boots.

I also use small gaiters when trail running to keep debris out.

Maxhunter

WKR
They'll keep the bottom of your pants dry in wet conditions. When you walking through wet foliage it makes a big difference. Also when crossing streams they'll help so the water doesn't go up and get the inside if your boots wet and your socks.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use them primarily to keep rocks and debris out of my boots. I don't get to hunt in to many places where wet grass is an issue, but that would also be good reason.

2rocky

WKR
x2 on Rosinbag's answer. I usually use short gaiters over trail running shoes.

sk1

WKR
I use the kenetrek gaiters, mostly if it rains or for late season in the snow.....it's a life saver in deep snow keeping snow from going down your boots

they are the only kind i have used so maybe let some others chime in that have more experience, but overall im happy with them, not sure how the new kuiu gaiters are, i would like to try them

i use gaiters when shed hunting, I'm usually wearing shorts and running shoes but still in rough country and the gaiters really help. they're awesome in snow for keeping it out of the top of shoes/boots. protect the bottoms of you pants too, thats usually where my pants start to wear first.
I've been using the new kuiu gaiters with good results. even my granola friend wants to hang up his trusty OR gaiters for them.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
what would be a good pair of gaiter to pick up?

I wear OR Crocodile gaiters and have had great success with them in all terrain and conditions I've encountered; high wet grass, knee deep river crossings, snow, scree, postholing, sidehilling. I wear them all the time.
Like many have said, they keep the crap out and the warmth in around the lower leg.

Sidehilling on the decent out of the Talkeetnas last year, OR Croc gaiters.

Attachments

• IMGP0725.jpg
    IMGP0725.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 34