Gaiters

Quick dumb question:

I've never worn gaiters. My current boots have been soaking through now that the grass is wet all the time. But the water is getting through my boots on the top of my feet, not over the rims of my boots. Basically right above my toes, like where the tongue of the boot starts down low (Hope that's understandable; kind of hard to describe)

Will gaiters stop this? In pictures, it looks like they don't cover a lot of the boot tongue down low enough to stop where I think water is coming through at. They're not high-end boots, but I've put lots of miles on them, and am very happy with them. I'd hate to have to get new ones, but that may be my only choice if gaiters won't do the job.

If I'm being unclear as to where the water is coming through, I can take a picture and diagram it later tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
H
Gaiters most likely won’t help the situation. Sounds like your boots aren’t waterproof especially in the tongue/laces area.
Yeah, I think that's probably right. They seemed to hold up in the beginning, then went downhill.

I've applied waterproof spray a few times over the months. But I just gave a very heavy application to the affected area last night to see if it makes a difference. Pretty sure it's going to be very temporary, even if it helps though. Particularly in a backcountry situation, which is what I have planned for next week.

Thanks for the feedback.

Poser

WKR
Wet grass is one of the more difficult moisture situations to deal with. Gaiters can help in streams of protecting the upper boot from getting soaked, but won’t do much for the tow box. Sounds like you need to retreat your boots which is something you’ll need to do 1-4 times a year depending on use + some conditioning. I apply either conditioner or waterproof treatment anytime my boots are soaked -wet leather will absorb the treatment better than dry leather.

Yeah, I think that's probably right. They seemed to hold up in the beginning, then went downhill.

I've applied waterproof spray a few times over the months. But I just gave a very heavy application to the affected area last night to see if it makes a difference. Pretty sure it's going to be very temporary, even if it helps though. Particularly in a backcountry situation, which is what I have planned for next week.

Thanks for the feedback.
I’ve found Gaiters are a great help in wet conditions though. Having the lower portions of your pants and boots mostly dry is very nice.

OP
H
Wet grass is one of the more difficult moisture situations to deal with. Gaiters can help in streams of protecting the upper boot from getting soaked, but won’t do much for the tow box. Sounds like you need to retreat your boots which is something you’ll need to do 1-4 times a year depending on use + some conditioning. I apply either conditioner or waterproof treatment anytime my boots are soaked -wet leather will absorb the treatment better than dry leather.
Damn, I didn't know it helped to apply when wet. I assumed the opposite and let them dry before applying. I did put a heavy application this time though, so hopefully things will improve a bit...

Take the cushions out and fill your boots up with water. That will tell you wear the leaks are.

Did that to a pair of Kenetreks (4-5 years old) and found that I had leaks in the soles, lower eyelets, and the rear heel. Explained why my feet were wet while hunting bear this summer in the rain.

OP
H
Take the cushions out and fill your boots up with water. That will tell you wear the leaks are.

Did that to a pair of Kenetreks (4-5 years old) and found that I had leaks in the soles, lower eyelets, and the rear heel. Explained why my feet were wet while hunting bear this summer in the rain.
Great idea!

Quick dumb question:

I've never worn gaiters. My current boots have been soaking through now that the grass is wet all the time. But the water is getting through my boots on the top of my feet, not over the rims of my boots. Basically right above my toes, like where the tongue of the boot starts down low (Hope that's understandable; kind of hard to describe)

Will gaiters stop this? In pictures, it looks like they don't cover a lot of the boot tongue down low enough to stop where I think water is coming through at. They're not high-end boots, but I've put lots of miles on them, and am very happy with them. I'd hate to have to get new ones, but that may be my only choice if gaiters won't do the job.

If I'm being unclear as to where the water is coming through, I can take a picture and diagram it later tonight. Thanks for the feedback.
Won’t help