Gaitors

I know Aron is a fan of them. I wear them in the winter snowshoeing, but that's it.
How many of you wear them during hunting....even in the snow?
Have a picture to share?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If there is snow on the ground, I have the Kenetreks on. If there isn't I usually have my little REI softshell gaitors on. I don't like stuff like rocks, snow, or water in my boots.

littlebuf

Banned
gaiters are one of those things i didnt realize i couldnt live with out.for the longest time i didnt wear them at all,then i picked up a pair of kenetreks and wow what a difference.i wear them every time out,its just a part of putting my boots on now

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear them at all times....trail running ones in good weather, Outdoor Research in bad. Never have to deal with anything getting in your boots or them coming untied.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pretty much always wear them. Keep my lower legs and boots dry in wet grass and brush, and even keep water out of my boots if I rock hop in a hurry during creek crossings. I don't bother with them much on packraft trips, as my feet are wet all the time anyway, but pretty much all the rest of my trips I have them along. Have also used them some while cross country skiing-- when the weather is warm I can just wear fleece pants and the gators keep the snow out of my socks.

IMGP0436.jpg

B

bearguide

the extra weight is the main reason i do not like to wear them , but in nasty weather my kenetreks go on.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMG_4354.jpg

These way 4 oz's (REI trail running gators) and are much lighter than the larger Kenetrek or Outdoor Research gators.

Well worth the weight for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Gaiters are worth it for me if for nothing else give you a few more seconds of freeboard well above your boot tops when crossing a creek. Worth the weight right there. The are never in my pack so I never actually carry them.

IMGP0521.jpg

JSonn

FNG
+1 on REI gaiters

I'm with Aron on this- I picked up a pair of REI running gaitors and ditched the underheel teather. They are light weight and do their job- also are softshell and super quiet. I also like the shorter length as it allows me to wear my knee cap pads without having the straps interfere with the gaitors.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had good luck with the Kenetrek's and once the snow hits the ground they are on every day.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Another benefit is they make you pants last longer as they protect them from tears. That's a big deal if you're wearing $250 gore-tex pants!

Mike7

WKR
I just got the REI trail running gaiters for warm dry weather at Aron's recommendation and they look like they are going to be good for warmer and not so wet weather. Thanks Aron, I have been needing something like these for quite some time. Here in WA and Northern ID it can get really wet from late August on in the mountains, so that all of the thick foliage is constantly wet weather it is raining all of the time or not. I have the Kennetreks, and also the OR Croc gaiters like Becca has on. I find the OR Crocs just a little more waterproof and tougher than the Kennetreks with constant brush and water exposure for big game and upland hunting. Infact, I am amazed by the OR Crocs as I am very hard on gear. I don't find them to be noisy, and when it is really wet and windy I end up fastening the upper portion to my bare leg above my socks and inside my pant leg anyway for a complete waterproof barrier.

The only 10 day hunt I ever got a chance to go on where we were packed in by horses too far for me to want to hike back to the trailhead, I forgot my OR gaitors as it was 85 degrees and dry in the low country when we took off. It rained the entire rest of the time and my feet were wet the rest of the time from water wicking down my socks into my boots. My feet were permanently wrinkled and were cold if I stopped hiking, and my boots were twice as heavy as they normally would be. Inbetween bivy hunts, I tried to dry them by a campfire, but the silicone waterproofing spray I had so liberally applied to the boots before the trip, kept wanting to ignite on my boots if any spark from the fire came near them.
The gaitors are my most important piece of my rain gear I think if I am wearing regular hiking boots and no rain pants which is usually the case (I can put a contractor bag from my survival kit over the rest of my body if I had to).

JDC

FNG
I have the Kenetrek gaiters. I wear them all the time I am out hunting. Keeps the water out during quick water crossings.. Well worth the weight no doubt

I have the outdoor research flex tech gaitors. LOVE them. great for wet weather but I like them all year as to keep the dust and debris out of my boots and socks.. never leave home without them.

Well, you can't see them but they are there!!! This was one of my scouting trips last year into a new area and this was a "short" snow pack we were hiking through. I ALWAYS have mine with me. I usually have issues finding pants that fit me in the waist AND the inseam so when they fit in the waist they are short and when I sit down to glass they help cut the wind.

2011-06-19_12-28-20_528.jpg

This is my other biggest use for them!! Early season TURKEY!! Hiking across drilled wheat fields or alfalfa fields helps keep my laces and pants dry!!

IMG_1046.jpg