Game bag size for elk and MR pack...

Sobrbiker

WKR
So, I’m probably overthinking this-I’ve got a solo late archery elk hunt coming up and have been eyeballing the Allen backcountry 28“x50” game bags. I run a MR Pintler and am thinking that bag size would be good for a hind quarter, but would be to wide for a front and misc loose meat (concerned it’d slip and spill out of the compression straps).
Also looking at Black Ovis XL bags but they seem a little short for an elk quarter without sawing off below hock.

Looking for what size bag has worked best with folks on elk with MR packs.

87TT

WKR
You can cut the legs off at the knee joint with a knife. Just cut the skin and tendons and flex it back and forth and cut as needed. I use the Allen backcountry game bags.

JoeDirt

WKR
I carry two Allen 20x30 and two BOMB bags for elk.

One allen bag for each quarter, one BOMB bag for both front shoulders and one BOMB bag for straps, loins, burger, heart and liver.

This is on a Rosie

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Thanks, that was the plan, but was more curious about the width of the Allens bulging out with loose meat.

I just “pulled the trigger” on the XL Ovis Sacks on camofire instead of the Allens I’ve been eyeballing on Amazon so I’ll have 4 bigger bags and one that I can put the loose meat in that will fit the non quarter load in.
I recently got a surrendered late season bull archery tag, so I’m scrambling to get all the gear together on short notice/budget (luxury problem)-hadn’t planned on my first elk hunt being on the schedule this year!

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
I used a pintler and allen game bags this year. Both worked. This photo is me with a shoulder and hind on the last trip out. The pintler carried the weight well. Ive put 2 elk in the allens and they still look new after washing.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 54
In my experience any regular game bag filled with loose meat will bulge out when trying to strap it to a pack. The smaller bags designed specifically for loose meat seem to work much better and keep their shape when on a pack. My wife made me some silnylon bags that are tall and skinny with a simple drawstring closure that work pretty well but I think the BOMB bags or something similar would work just as well.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
I used a pintler and allen game bags this year. Both worked. This photo is me with a shoulder and hind on the last trip out. The pintler carried the weight well. Ive put 2 elk in the allens and they still look new after washing.
Is that a MR Backstrap holding the blue bag on?

williaada

WKR
I used the Allen set of bags, and I was able to use them just fine, and the meat bugling was not an issue if I took a little time to strap the quarters down securely.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Is that a MR Backstrap holding the blue bag on?
It’s a homemade version. Wish I had seen theirs before I made mine. Probably would have saved me money in the end. That dry bag has camp in it. We hike in and drop camp and then the Pinter is perfect to hunt with after that.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
It’s a homemade version. Wish I had seen theirs before I made mine. Probably would have saved me money in the end. That dry bag has camp in it. We hike in and drop camp and then the Pinter is perfect to hunt with after that.

Very cool, I’ve been thinking of having pod8 make me one for my guide light Pintler. I did the dry bag drop camp solo first time for my Coues hunt this year (55L OR bag)-it worked great (except I couldn’t carry enough water for a droughted desert in August😬

Attachments

• F00EB5C7-121F-4EF5-80A7-C87494A91A13.jpeg
    F00EB5C7-121F-4EF5-80A7-C87494A91A13.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 21

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
It was really handy. I've been carrying it even on the day hunts I'm doing now. It really expanded my options for carrying stuff with the pintler. It made the difference in how many trips out it took.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    771.5 KB · Views: 22

muddydogs

WKR
Thanks, that was the plan, but was more curious about the width of the Allens bulging out with loose meat.

I just “pulled the trigger” on the XL Ovis Sacks on camofire instead of the Allens I’ve been eyeballing on Amazon so I’ll have 4 bigger bags and one that I can put the loose meat in that will fit the non quarter load in.
I recently got a surrendered late season bull archery tag, so I’m scrambling to get all the gear together on short notice/budget (luxury problem)-hadn’t planned on my first elk hunt being on the schedule this year!
For the money you should have purchased both sizes of Allen bags, the big ones for quarters and carry one or two smaller ones for loose meat. I use Allen bags with my MR cabinet and have no issues.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
It was really handy. I've been carrying it even on the day hunts I'm doing now. It really expanded my options for carrying stuff with the pintler. It made the difference in how many trips out it took.

I bought mine as a Cabinet, then got a Pintler bag. The Cabinet is awesome for day hunting from a truck camp-no pulling off of frame to load, but I think I’ll be running the Pintler most all the time after using in the field.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
For the money you should have purchased both sizes of Allen bags, the big ones for quarters and carry one or two smaller ones for loose meat. I use Allen bags with my MR cabinet and have no issues.
Couldn’t find the Allen Backcountry in stock for less than $40+