Game bag size help

Hate to start another game bag thread, but I've been researching and just haven't had much luck getting my dilemma solved.

I want some game bags that will hold muley (and other similar sized game) bone-in quarters, and I want the smallest size that can still fit elk bone-in quarters. I know a lot of guys on here are running TAG BOMB bags, and I like them but I think I want the option of not boning out an elk right away (unless that's dumb? don't know, never done it).

Here are the widths of the ones I've researched:

Bomb bags - 14"
Regular TAG quarter bags - 18" or 24"
Kuiu large bags (elk) - 23.5"
Kuiu medium (large deer) - 19"
Caribou Muley - 18"
Caribou Wapiti - 23"
VIAM Hunter - 20"
Black Ovis XL - 21"

My main concern is getting bags big enough for elk and then they are waaaay too big for muley quarters.. Advice?

I primarily hunt elk and then if a deer happens to end up in front of me then that becomes my target. I really like any bag that is about 20" x 30" for elk bone in hind quarters. Its not dumb to leave them on the bone and you end up with alot more meat due to less trimming. The deciding factors for me are temperature and distance and elevation to get out. Around 2 miles seems to be my tipping point where I start deboning the hinds. 20x30 is big enough to get around the largest part of the hind with maybe a little tugging and pushing on the quarter but it will fit on pretty much even the biggest bulls with 80 pound plus hinds. Now the bag will not cover all the way to the hock but will only fall a few inches short and there isn't much meat there anyway that isn't covered. Same bags will fit a front easy but I think you pack alot of weight on the front in bone for how much meat you actually get so unless its really easy getting out or there are plenty of people or it will balance out loads I generally debone them and use the bigger bomb bags which are way to big for the amount of meat but I like one bag per quarter or group of meat.

This is what I carry and generally use TAG except my hind quarter bags because TAG only recently started making 20" x 30" bags and offering individual bags for sale. 2-20"x30" bags (one kuiu medium and one Caribou single quarter small), 2-14"x34" tag bomb tall, kuiu small zip (perfect backstrap size and carry handle work if you run out of room in the pack), 1-14"x20" tag bomb small for neck and tenderloins sometimes two because a big bull's neck will pack that bag plumb full.

The other advantage to the 20"x30" size is you can use it to cover quarters as you take them off hanging bone in and get more meat off and hanging before deboning. I have done this many times and I don't have to debone until the third quarter comes off which lets me get both hinds up in the air cooling faster than deboning as they come off to protect against bugs.

My dad and friends carry a similar combination of bag sizes and anything plus or minus an inch or two on that 20" width seems to work well for bone in hinds. If you need to use them on a mule deer the extra bag wraps around the meat and bone and doesn't hurt anything.

If you already have the TAG BOMB bag kit I would just look at two more of the TAG 18" x 30" bags as they are still my preferred bag of choice. The material is noticably thinner but I haven't put a hole in them after 5 years of 2-3 animals per year in them.

I'm running the caribou carnivore.
I have gotten them on bone in Rag horn quarters before but it was tite and covered the meat then tied them around and the bone.
I didn't pack them like that just the 3 I was leaving.
I'd think if u had a few more inches of width it would be about perfect.
But I always bone out. For packing and the narrower bag packs and rides better.
If your that worried about it ether but 2 dif size kits.
Or pull a bag or 2 out when ur deer hunting.

Bought caribou carnivour 3s this past year for an elk hunt. I did manage to fit sitka blacktail entire bone in quarters and loose meat into one bag. I have since bought the wapiti bone in bags from them. If at all possible keep the bone in. Meat keeps for longer as you expose less to the air

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using the Allen Backcountry Meat bags the last few years. I use them because I liked their size over all the other options at the time. They are 20x30" and work well for bone-in or deboned for elk or deer. Four come in a bag, but I bought two sets and use 6 of them. They work great and clean up easily in the washer for reuse.

I use the Allen Backcountry bags also. They have worked great for bear, deer and elk this year.

OP
cornfedkiller
Couple more questions for those with experience..

Will bone-in elk front quarters fit in a 16" wide bag, or will I need a 20" for them?

Will bone-in muley rear quarters fit in a 16" wide bag, or will I need a little bigger for those?

Couple more questions for those with experience..

Will bone-in elk front quarters fit in a 16" wide bag, or will I need a 20" for them?

Will bone-in muley rear quarters fit in a 16" wide bag, or will I need a little bigger for those?
I can't speak to the elk as I have always deboned those, but muley will fit......or at least all of mine that I have tried have fit.

Esse quam videri

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I guess that depends on how you define "front quarter". If it's just the shoulder with leg bone, probably. If it's a true "quarter".....no. But that won't even fit in a 20". And this rear from my daughter's bull wouldn't fit in a 20" wide bag either. Luckily my buddy that showed up to help had some of those stretchy game bags to put it in.

Attachments

• 100_3610.jpg
    100_3610.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 55

Jimss

WKR
My preference for game bags during the early season when there are flies is ultra-cheap game bags you can pick up for around $2.00 at Walmart. They are super light, compact, and I've never had a problem with flies. It's really easy to cut a bag in 1/2 or 1/4 to use on smaller meat portions.

When hunting in cold conditions with no flies I don't even haul or use game bags. I'm super careful to keep the meat clean and dry. I really don't worry too much about the outside layer of meat because that layer is dis-guarded anyway. I usually cover miles while elk and deer hunting so the more weight and bulk I can get off my back the better!

If you are concerned about bags being too thin you can always haul and use smaller, lighter cheap bags while hunting and change them out when you get back to the truck? When hunting antelope and other game close to the truck I have a nicer set of game bags that can be washed and re-used.