Game Bags for Black Bear

ChrisAU

WKR
Just want to make sure, but should be fine with a "deer" sized set of game bags for a boned out black bear correct? Thinking about adding a bear tag for CO 1st rifle this year and the idea being if we are successful on an elk early in the trip we will be packing it to the truck and then get the extra game bags to come back and sit the carcass a day or two while the other part of our group continues elk hunting.

WKR
Personally for bears, after packing out 7 the last 7 years in CO, I'd use unscented black plastic bags. They are very fat in the fall and in warm temps, it gets very greasy in the packs. As soon as you hit the truck, get the meat out of the plastic and on ice. For deer and elk, use cloth game bags often.

And bears vary of course from dinks to 400 pounders. But deer sized bags if going cloth will work fine. The meat is quite good if they are feeding on acorns and berries, worth taking good care of.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
With that question is there a ideal way to field dress a black bear?

I've watched a couple vids on it, and I've decided I'm not gonna be able to figure it out very well until I've got one on the ground with a knife in hand.

I've watched a couple vids on it, and I've decided I'm not gonna be able to figure it out very well until I've got one on the ground with a knife in hand.
I guess that what I was looking for, a Recommendation on Proper how to video

I’ve always heard hide off and bones out as quick as possible to cool the meat otherwise it can “boil” in its own fat inside that heavy black hide