Game Bags

I run the Caribou Gear game bags and they are doing great. I haven't run the others but I would recommend Caribou Gear for sure.

I have the caribou single quarter small and the Allen 20x30. I’m as positive I can be without testing the material that they are identical. Only difference is the draw cord and cord lock. I still prefer TAG bags but I find the 20x30 size necessary for elk hind quarters and TAG didn’t make that size bag at the time. I use the bombs for fronts and misc meat

muddydogs

WKR
Allen Gear bag weights
20x30 3.2 ounces each, 13.1 ounce for 4 bags in orange bag.

28x50 6.8 ounces each, 27.6 ounces for 4 bags in orange bag.

ed2brute

FNG
I picked up Caribou bags locally and have been very happy them. Haven’t ran the others, but they beat pillow cases, cheese cloth, and canvas for sure!

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody use the Kuiu game bags?

I was thinking about picking up a couple for this fall. Very lightweight. Only 3.1 oz for a 3200 cubic inch bag. 4.5 oz for a large 5500 cubic inch.

Herea a link to their game bags.

Anybody use the Kuiu game bags?

I was thinking about picking up a couple for this fall. Very lightweight. Only 3.1 oz for a 3200 cubic inch bag. 4.5 oz for a large 5500 cubic inch.

Herea a link to their game bags.

I’ve used the kuiu bags quite a bit. I like the medium for elk hind quarters and it’s about 20x30. Usually carry one kuiu medium, one caribou 20x30, one kuiu zippered small or medium works good for elk backstraps, then 2 tall tag bombs and one short tag bomb.

The shape of the kuiu bags seem nice for slotting them into a meat shelf and keeping overall size down and somewhat structured. I've been wanting to get some good reusable game bags and am leaning towards trying out a medium kuiu one. Main purpose would be a bear hide and bone in quarters.

Anybody have experience on best game bags for bear?

Looking to buy new game bags:
Ovis Sacks
Caribou
Or the new Argali? Which would you choose and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having been an Allen game bag fan for the last couple of years I made a switch. Today I received the bone out bags from Felix40 and WOW!

Here on the left is a full pack of 5 bags 13x29”, weighing 7.2 oz total, cost $39.

On the right is a 3 pack (one bag is missing) of Allen bags 20x30”, weighing about 12-13 oz with 4 bags, cost is $27.

I’m happy with the bags by Felix40, a member here, who makes them in the USA. The bags seem tough, light in weight, and reasonably priced.

Anozira

WKR
I bought a set of the TAG bags before last years elk season. My first impressions were that I really liked them but after only using them a second time on this years elk hunt they are already starting to fall apart. I have not abused them in any way and they were stored inside with the rest of my hunting gear. I need to get them washed up and inspect them better to see where they are failing. I will probably be in the market for something different after this.

Edit: I got them out of the wash tonight and two of them failed. One in the middle of the fabric and one along the seam. I will be watching this thread to find some more durable bags.

Last edited:

jb79

WKR
So I was just checking weights before I head out, not a huge back pack hunt but still like to be light and my game bags came in at 31oz with Kifaru pull out and gloves! Been using the caribou 28x48 x4 and the small camp meat bad, they have been great, lots of animals carried out in them and they clean up great but if I can cut the weight down I’d love to!

Are you guys putting bone in rear quarters in the 20x30 bags? Must places I hunt we can get them out with bone so I’ve always just used the bigger bags but at almost 3x the weight I’d like to use the smaller bags!

I bought a set of the TAG bags before last years elk season. My first impressions were that I really liked them but after only using them a second time on this years elk hunt they are already starting to fall apart. I have not abused them in any way and they were stored inside with the rest of my hunting gear. I need to get them washed up and inspect them better to see where they are failing. I will probably be in the market for something different after this.

Edit: I got them out of the wash tonight and two of them failed. One in the middle of the fabric and one along the seam. I will be watching this thread to find some more durable bags.

Contact TAG bags that is not typical longevity and they will take care of you.

So I was just checking weights before I head out, not a huge back pack hunt but still like to be light and my game bags came in at 31oz with Kifaru pull out and gloves! Been using the caribou 28x48 x4 and the small camp meat bad, they have been great, lots of animals carried out in them and they clean up great but if I can cut the weight down I’d love to!

Are you guys putting bone in rear quarters in the 20x30 bags? Must places I hunt we can get them out with bone so I’ve always just used the bigger bags but at almost 3x the weight I’d like to use the smaller bags!

I get bone in rear quarters inside 20x30 bags. A really big bull might take a little manuvering of the meat to get it around the big part of the quarter but I'm sure it will fit. I use the 20x30 to cover the quarters as I take them off so I can get them hung and cooling while I continue breaking down the elk. Then I will go back and start de-boning or when a friend arrives to help.

OP
Dmcook

Dmcook

FNG
So I ended up buying and using the Argali, they were strong, light and easy to clean. I did end up tearing one but I think my buddy dragged it and caught it on something when we were moving the quarters to the shade back at camp. Overall a good bag, if I can sew this one I’ll see if I can order a single replacement. Good luck to everyone still at it.
7195420342a34e603f8e8ccbf2c0f935.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joes3

FNG
I bought the ovis bags off camofire last year. Love them. Well made, will last a long time.

drmikeyj

FNG
I’m on my 3rd season of the Caribou bags, not a single issue and I highly recommend them. Got them 20% off at my local Scheels. Clean up well and very tough. My bro-in-law is trying to fill his new Kuiu bags right now with an elk. I will update his opinion when he returns if they get used. I saw them in person, really impressed, but the zipper does concern me. If that blows out in the field, it is wide open and useless

I use the Caribou Game Bags while guiding moose hunts here in Maine. I used to use the canvas ones but the Caribou are lighter, just as strong (or stronger) and easier to clean.