Game bags

Lawnboi

WKR
I will never use a cheesecloth bag again. Those things are useless. I spend a lot and value my meat, pinching pennies on handling meat is not what I want to do. The nice bags really keep dirt and bugs out.

Iv got a good mix of the bigger brands, black ovis, caribou and argali. I’d like to try the tag bags someday.

They all last, had multiple animals in each now. As far as what I prefer, I’ll be buying more argali as soon as more are available, they are awesome, feature filled and really light. On top of that they are made in the USA, the other two known are not.

On top of that they are so soft you can use them as a pillow case.

Caribou and black ovis have also done the job. They really grab onto the meat, makes taking dried meat out a pain, but overall they work really good.

I have roughly ten critters through my caribou bags and they just came out of the wash looking pretty nice.

I would like to try the argali bags but I don't really have any reason to switch.

muddydogs

WKR
I was watching Born and Raised Outdoors on YouTube, this season they are testing some prototype game bags that just might be the ticket. Basically the bags zip up the side so they can be laid open for easy meat placement then zipped up. Have to see how the bags shack out but they might be a good option in the future.

Allen game bags are decent for white tails but I don't know if I would recommend for larger game

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FWIW, Have to agree on caribou bags, last well and wash up even better. Keeps meat free of dirt and bugs.

EKyhookr

FNG
Black Ovis xl bags. Synthetic bags are the way to go, packed my buddies bull this year with the stretchy cheesecloth type and will never do that again.

JoeDirt

WKR
Caribou BOM bags and Allen quarter bags is all I use.

Allen bags just barely squeeze in a Roosevelt elk quarters.

BOM bags are great for deer and all the elk parts minus the quarters.

I ripped one of my Caribou bags, the meat dried to it when removing from the bag.

The Allen bags have weaker cordage, don't fair well to hanging a full bag of meat.

Ryry

FNG
Looking out for the release of the Born And Raised game bags with the zipper on them. Currently using tag bags.

muddydogs

WKR
Allen bags just barely squeeze in a Roosevelt elk quarters.

The Allen bags have weaker cordage, don't fair well to hanging a full bag of meat.
The Allen large size are huge, they swallow a Rocky Mountain quarter. Were you using the large or small bags?

I don't care what bag I have I never figured the draw string was for hanging the bag I just use it to close the bag. When hanging I tie cordage around the leg below the knuckle or down the bag under a wad of material if its full of loose meat.

JoeDirt

WKR
The Allen large size are huge, they swallow a Rocky Mountain quarter. Were you using the large or small bags?

I don't care what bag I have I never figured the draw string was for hanging the bag I just use it to close the bag. When hanging I tie cordage around the leg below the knuckle or down the bag under a wad of material if its full of loose meat.

20x30 bags.

What would you suggest for a game bag for a mule deer? I’ve seen the argali game bags just have had no experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ckiko3

FNG
Highly recommend reusable game bags. Have had the cheesecloth ones tear on me while hanging elk quarters in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Allen "outfitter" bags are probably the best I've used and I used those for about 20 years. I switched to Caribou "wapiti" game bags because they vacuum seal into a cpl of real small pkgs. The problem with those synthetic bags is the meat, where bloody, will dry and bond to the game bag. I mean when you finally get the meat out, chunks are still stuck to the bag mtl. It's a pain in the ass.
I now know to keep pulling the bags away from the meat till the bloody bag mtl dries. I keep using them because of those small vac sealed pkgs in my pack and, they get real clean with only 2 washings.

KineKilla

WKR
I use Alaskan Game Bags. If you buy the Elk sized ones, you can fit a whole mule deer in one bag. They're stretchy and I don't know if they are the cheesecloth ones people here don't like but they seem to be working well for me. They are a bit bulky/heavy if you carry a pack of 4 though.

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
What are the differences between lower end bags and higher end bags? “Material” seems obvious, but what makes one better than the other? I always figured something like a cheese cloth would be better to let the meat cook and release heat better, but I know the Kifaru Meat bags are damn near or completely waterproof. What are the pros and cons between different styles?