Game camera recommendations

Davebuech

WKR
I have never used a game camera in all my hunting years. Have always thought it might interrupt their patterns if lights go off in the night. I see they make a few models now that do not flash and take B&W photos in "stealth" mode. It got me thinking of maybe setting a couple up this year in some of my spots to see exactly who is making these tracks. What are some recommendations for someone who has never set game cams before? Make, models, ease of operation, any info you would like to share.

Thanks for your input.

I've had good luck with the Bushnell models. I just buy what is being discontinued, last years model, and thus can pick up for half price. No way I'm paying for the latest and greatest seeing how they are the latest and greatest for like two weeks :).

As for tips for setting up I just make sure it is facing north so the sun doesn't mess up the pics and also to keep an eye out for anything that can blow in the wind triggering false pics.

Kilboars

WKR
I've bought 40-50 Moultries cameras over the years but have stopped because they break sometimes and their warranty is terrible. Also seems like overtime I buy a new one they don't seem to up the quality but they change the interface so they do they same thing but now changed how the button and arrows work to get there. Very Irritating.

So I've gone to Bushnell and my latest is the Bushnell HD Agressor Wireless Cam. Their pricey at $250 put at $10 a month it send you up to 1,500 photos each month and 3,000 for $20 but first 30 days is free. I think their cool for those spots you don't want to go into to much. You do need to have cell signal of course.

Good luck in your search.

gumbl3

WKR
That original Cuddeback capture was one of the best cameras ever made. Still going strong for me.

Nothing has lasted as long as that, but most recently the browning and the bushnell have been the best performers. We've gone through most every brand out there. Like others have said, get something with AA batteries.

I've got a buddy that swears by Brownings. I've had good luck finding Coverts on sale-- good clarity and trigger speed, AA batteries and easily lockable.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Last year was my first year and I bought 2 discontinued spy point cameras. They worked awesome! Made it through the whole season on a set of regular batteries.

Decided I wanted more so I bought 3 crappy refurb stealth cams for under $100 total. Can't wait to get some field time with them, but initial testing is positive.

One thing I learned in my initial research is that you don't need anything over 10MP. Your just trying to see what is in the area, not take award winning photos.

Check out camofire right now, they have a huge selection. The stealth cam px36 no glo with a card and lock is a steal at $90.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Another happy Browning owner but don't be heavy-handed with the latch. It can crack although it doesn't affect the camera.

I run a couple year round on the fence line behind my house. Incredible battery life. I've used some other brands but have had the best longevity with Browning.
Look for the lower mp models on sale. Megapixels are really not important like UtahJimmy said.

Have extra cards so you can just swap out and look at pics at home. Sometimes I will take my old lumix camera which i use as a photo viewer.

You need to have the proper attitude starting out with a trail cam. Any brand at any price could croak at any time.

UtahJimmy

WKR
ooohhh and my biggest recommendation: always have a way to view the pics with you when you first set it up.

As Brood mentioned, make sure there isn't anything that sways in the wind in the frame. I made the mistake of not testing either of my cameras the first time I set them up in the woods. When I went back to check them after a 4 week soak, I had over 6000 pics on the first camera. I think only 50 of them had animals in them. Needless to say It was poorly angled and I learned my lesson! I now always carry a tablet with me to just download the images, delete them, and reinstall the card in the camera. If anything got bumped, I'll take a few test pictures and check out the position. Has made me much more proficient at capturing the game I'm after!

I've had good luck with the Bushnell models. I just buy what is being discontinued, last years model, and thus can pick up for half price. No way I'm paying for the latest and greatest seeing how they are the latest and greatest for like two weeks :).

As for tips for setting up I just make sure it is facing north so the sun doesn't mess up the pics and also to keep an eye out for anything that can blow in the wind triggering false pics.

I bought 3 bushnels on sale and used them this season. The bone collector 12 MP. Two quit working after a few months. Bushnell replaced one and I sent back another. Still waiting. My view on these is that they ought to last for a few years at least. Might be hard for me to buy another bushnell.

OP
Davebuech

Davebuech

WKR
ooohhh and my biggest recommendation: always have a way to view the pics with you when you first set it up.

I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

It appears I can buy a card reader for my I phone to view the pics. I would guess since it is a card reader for my I phone it will read any card from any camera? Yes, thanks, definitely a good recommendation.