Game Hunting in New Mexico

I am interested in trying to hunt game birds this year (only have hunted elk and deer before). Where is a good place to start after reading the hunting rules and info? Any info specific to New Mexico would be especially helpful (such as what birds and areas to research). I’m just interested in a fun trip and the chance to get a tasty meal. Any advice is helpful.

My best advice is to learn the seasons and scout for the species. Look at the NM Game and Fish website to learn the zones and distribution areas for birds, ie. quail. Then get on the road and go look for birds. For dove look for water tanks and sit them early in the AM and evening. For quail start by water and start walking and looking for coveys. I know this isn't specific advice but it'll help you learn and pay off in the long run.

OP
N
My best advice is to learn the seasons and scout for the species. Look at the NM Game and Fish website to learn the zones and distribution areas for birds, ie. quail. Then get on the road and go look for birds. For dove look for water tanks and sit them early in the AM and evening. For quail start by water and start walking and looking for coveys. I know this isn't specific advice but it'll help you learn and pay off in the long run.
This is good advice. Like I said, I am really new and have no idea where to start. Do you have any suggestions about how to identify different game? Right now, when I see something fly, I call it a bird. Would just getting out by water with a bird book be a good idea? YouTube? I’d like to be able to walk through possible hunt areas and identify which birds are legal way before I walk out with a gun.

Yup. Start in your backyard, I'm sure there are dove there and you can watch and identify them while sitting in your driveway. The NM Game and Fish website has a lot of good info also.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm up in Santa Fe, only have one season of bird hunting though. There are decent quail populations throughout the eastern prairies, with most publicly accessible being toward the southeast. Grouse and turkeys all over the Jemez and Sangre de Cristos.

I'm a big fan of combo hunts; going for grouse and squirrels with a rimfire in the woods, or jackrabbits and quail with a shotgun on the flats. The seasons for both of these pairings match up so it's convenient and reduces the chances of getting skunked.