Game Marinade

This has to have been discussed but I searched and could not find it. What is your best game marinade? For steaks and chops, and then on the grill? I have alot of rub recipes but always end up googling a marinade. I don't always marinade but would like to hear some recipes.

I don’t marinate that often but if I do I use the following. I don’t have measurements I just do it by taste sorry.

Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar/red wine vinegar
Worcestershire sauce
Course ground pepper
Salt
Granulated garlic
Chili powder
Cayenne
Onion powder
Brown sugar
Mix it up until everything is dissolved and I let it marinate for at least 12 hours but 24 is better.

LostArra

WKR
I would suggest starting simple like using Cahunter805's first 6 ingredients. Then add or subtract other ingredients as desired with each new batch of meat.

I just did a reverse sear on two big elk backstrap pieces to compare marinade vs non-marinade. The non-marinade was the consensus winner.

I've found marinade to be more useful on sliced meat like round that I'm cooking for fajitas.

JGuest

FNG
Soy sauce and a single egg yolk, about an hour, maybe two in the fridge. Rare, medium rare, or tiger meat. If you need it fancy try the following:
Soy Sauce - ~1/3 cup
1 egg yolk
black pepper to taste usually 1/4-1 tsp
white sugar to taste usually 1/4-1 tsp
worcestershire sauce 1/4 tsp or to taste
If you drop the egg, pepper and W sauce it's a super basic teriyaki.

This is the one that converted my then fiancee to dropping beef and moving to venison. Teriyaki or close to it is good on anything.

LostArra

WKR
Soy sauce and a single egg yolk, about an hour, maybe two in the fridge. Rare, medium rare, or tiger meat. If you need it fancy try the following:
Soy Sauce - ~1/3 cup
1 egg yolk

This is the one that converted my then fiancee to dropping beef and moving to venison. Teriyaki or close to it is good on anything.

Egg yolk? Hmmm
I'm on this recipe for this weekend during our upcoming South Dakota-like weather. (highs in single digits, wind 10-20) :cool:

OP
G
Soy Sauce - ~1/3 cup
1 egg yolk

Interesting! Never heard of using egg yolk will have to try

If I have someone over and want to treat them, Ill take and rub (5parts brown sugar/1 part non iodized salt) all over the meat and set in fridge for hour or so. A quick rinse, pat dry then add hot pepper flakes and black pepper. Sit on counter for 20 minutes or so to come up to temp. Grill on hottest flame, med rare max. I use the same mix for my venison and salmon jerky. Keeping it simple.

Horns

FNG
Kraft Zesty Italian. I use it on beef, chicken, game....hell if it can make salad taste good....
Take a head of cabbage and coarse chop it. Buy a cheap throw away foil pan like people use during the holidays. Put the cabbage in, put about 3/4 bottle of Italian salad dressing in and cover with foil. Put on the grill. Got toe mighty

+1 for Italian Dressing
I also use a mixture of Olive oil, Lemon or Lime Juice and Sriracha. Amounts vary upon the amount of meat you have but I generally use just enough oil to coat the meat, maybe a 1/4 cup juice and Sriracha to your taste.
A simple teriyaki sauce can work well as can a simple mixture of brown sugar and soy sauce (1/4 cup of each per pound of meat). this can be added after meat is cooked as well with some garlic, and red pepper flakes for Korean Beef flavor.

MiPublic

FNG
I don’t marinate that often but if I do I use the following. I don’t have measurements I just do it by taste sorry.

Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar/red wine vinegar
Worcestershire sauce
Course ground pepper
Salt
Granulated garlic
Chili powder
Cayenne
Onion powder
Brown sugar
Mix it up until everything is dissolved and I let it marinate for at least 12 hours but 24 is better.

Mine is almost identical minus the cayenne, and brown sugar and add a little lemon juice. It's fantastic, my only caution is to be careful on the red wine vinegar, too much can leave a vinegar after taste. I don't even measure anymore, just dump it all in a bowl, mix up and add in the tenderloins, backstraps, steaks or whatever. I want to try it on jerky strips next.

I will second this, I have started to brine pretty much all my meat. I noticed that people who say they don't like "game meat flavor" just don't like meat that hasn't been brined 90% of the time.
I will third this, however sometimes if I am not able to brine or do not have what I need on hand (on hunting/fishing/camping trip) I marinade in the following:
1. 1/4 cup vegetable oil
2. 1/4 cup water
3. 2 tablespoon white vinegar
4. 2 tablespoon seasoning
5. 1-1.5lbs meat and leave for 8-24 hours in container or gallon size zip style bag

McCormick's Montréal steak is a seasoning I often use (wife's favorite) but I have substituted it for several other seasoning or even used a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Less than 8 hours it doesn't seem to penetrate and tenderize the meat as much and over 24 hours the flavor can become overpoweringly salty. Italian dressing also works and provides similar results.

In my opinion those who complain about "game" taste are not eating meat that has been handled, processed and prepared correctly.

Last edited:

MiPublic

FNG
McCormick's Montréal steak is a seasoning I often use (wife's favorite) but I have substituted it for several other seasoning or even used a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder.

In my opinion those who complain about "game" taste are not eating meat that has been handled, processed and prepared correctly.

Spicy Montreal Steak is my go to for veggies and beef steaks.

100% agree on the "gamey" taste and I'd venture a wager that 65-70% of that is handling/processing. Careful knife cuts, blade cleaning and attention to detail when processing make all the difference.

bretm

FNG
Korean barbeque sauces go good with dark red meat like elk and venison. I use it alot to marinade them before grilling or smoking.