Game Warden shortage nationwide

Rob5589

WKR
Not surprised. The only time I see them is on refuges during duck season. And mostly just the beginning of the season and very end. I have never seen one in Idaho.

*zap*

WKR
Our local one thinks everyone is a violator who has not been caught yet and treats everyone that way.

We had a great warden but he moved over the county line where he could afford to buy a house and they fired him for not living in the county he had jurisdiction over.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Not surprised. The only time I see them is on refuges during duck season.
This and what Zap said.

The federal ones down here are pretty nice but state officers are more likely to try and do a strip search.

We see some down here while fishing. For whatever reason the guys out in the boat all day are always pissed about something and nasty.

archp625

WKR
I think people want to get into the profession because they will be around hunting all the time. Then they realize that they have to work during most of the seasons they want to hunt. On top of that, they do not get paid much.

I'm with someone else. I really only see them in NW MO at the duck parks. They all seem to be Billy Bad A around here. Not much respect for them.

I was just telling my wife the other night that the only super good run in was last year in Wyoming. The lady was super professional and very helpful. I wish they were all like that.

Coldtrail

WKR
Finding good people to do any kind of law enforcement work in the current climate will be a challenge, but generationally I think the new age young candidates for these jobs are not keen on weekends, nights, holidays, long hours and on call work that many wildlife officers are subjected to. These agencies will need to adapt to make these jobs appealing to the new generation, how they do that I don't know, but more spooky to me is that nationwide the numbers of hunters is decreasing which means the number of new game wardens/conservation officers that have hunting experience will decrease as well. Hang onto your hats, things might get a little interesting.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider

We are always lurking ;) but yes before this we were at 15% shortage before the madness began. Now with the anti LE sentiment, no pay rate increase since the 90s or Even a contract in 8 years. And now massive-budget cuts. For the first time in our storied 140 year history we are at a loss for applicants (even if we could hire during this hiring freeze/ no promotions either).
And old timers are running for the door (again a first in our agencies History)

Before every truck practically had Scrapemarks down the side of it where they dragged the 30+ year officer out of it to retire so we could actually hire new blood. (Not that exaggerates the last 5 years we had 3 members Forced to Retire at 72! Because the state wouldn’t give them any more health waivers) now every one with time is pulling the plug. Because one controversial stop and your fired and presumed guilty before the investigation even begins.

Teddy’s Men of Courage are in for the toughest years we’ve yet faced.

"I want, as game protectors, men of courage, resolution and hardihood who can handle the rifle, axe and paddle; who can camp out in summer or winter; who can go on snowshoes, if necessary; who can go through the woods by day or by night without regard to trails." NY Governor Teddy Roosevelt 1899 when expanding the powers of N.Y. Game Protectors (Wardens) and purging their ranks of political appointees to be replaced by the toughest backwoods man TR could muster.

Oregonboy

WKR
Every now and then I’ll get my fishing license checked at the more popular spots and I always smile when I see them. My favorite question to ask them is “what’s the dumbest or most egregious thing you’ve seen lately.” Their stories are so good 🤣🤣.

fmyth

WKR
I think people want to get into the profession because they will be around hunting all the time. Then they realize that they have to work during most of the seasons they want to hunt. On top of that, they do not get paid much.

I'm with someone else. I really only see them in NW MO at the duck parks. They all seem to be Billy Bad A around here. Not much respect for them.

I was just telling my wife the other night that the only super good run in was last year in Wyoming. The lady was super professional and very helpful. I wish they were all like that.

Sounds like you might have met WY GW Kim Olsen. I called her today asking for advice on a new to me unit. She answered all of my non resident questions and made some suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Super professional and helpful.

Poser

WKR
Since moving to Durango, I actually see them frequently as there is a regional office here. I see their trucks around time, I’ve seen them checking winter closure enforcement etc.

Job that requires a ton of work, and not very much pay. Often have to cover giant units in the west that they don't even live in. I know a warden who became a police officer because it's better benefits, pay, and less time away from his family.

mlgc20

WKR
A couple of years ago, I took my daughter to New Mexico near Magdalena for a youth cow hunt. I saw more game wardens in that week than I had seen in the previous 20 years combined. Seemed like they were everywhere. I’m always glad to see the game wardens out and about. But, seems like it’s getting more rare these days.

archp625

WKR
Sounds like you might have met WY GW Kim Olsen. I called her today asking for advice on a new to me unit. She answered all of my non resident questions and made some suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Super professional and helpful.
I cannot remember her name. We were just south of Casper. Very pleasant experience.

Felix40

WKR
It’s only going to get worse. Guys are going to have to start paying for insurance out of pocket to protect themselves from being sued. Add in being on call basically 24/7 and bringing home barely more than $2k a month and it makes it hard to find quality people.

dtrkyman

WKR
Illinois has one of the biggest draws in hunting in the country, Pike county, big buck haven, covered up in hunters from al over the country in the fall, the county has no warden assigned to it!

Kim Olsen / Neil Hymas / Andy Hymas / Chris Baird/Biff in wyoming have all been great on answering questions and when I have met them in the field. I've dealt with ones in AZ (karen in tucson, tim in white mountains), WY, MT, TX w/o any issues whatsoever. only time i encountered anyone with a bad attitude was in Colorado and I get why...bad behavior from other Texans had put him in a bad mood ( they were drunk and driving closed road). Gotta realize these guys/gals are under a significant amount of stress, they get lied to constantly and there are some real slobs out there. Help them out and they will do the same.

Thanks man. I really mean it, good on you.
Get a different screen name though, when your being sued by some dindu that screen name is going to haunt you

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks man. I really mean it, good on you.
Get a different screen name though, when your being sued by some dindu that screen name is going to haunt you

thank you- we serve as arbiters of hunters and sportsman. Most of us were/ are them, my favorite job is taking the “glory photo” for the hunter who’s taken their first deer/ bear or the trophy of their lifetime. I have framed photos of some of those interactions. Love the community- grew up in the backwoods and want it there for all of you and your kids/ grand kids.

As for screen name been my “tag”
for a long while. The character is one of the best (fictional) examples out there about overcoming adversity to become the hero from bully to Soldier, to disabled vet, to Hero. I’m shocked the story was ever printed in modern media.

FABDBB16-CA64-4A4D-AF25-9F23ACDD085A.jpeg9BC55FB3-CB06-49F5-A09A-7E3A9D864B61.jpeg
83B2A54F-9C07-45A2-97CC-E43D434D41AD.jpeg