Garage Attic Access

Looking for some opinions or ideas on the attic access in my garage. The access cover is just a piece of sheetrock that needs to be pushed up and manipulated in order to get it down. The issue that I'm having now is that the wind is causing the cover to lift up and then it slams back down on the sheetrock that's holding it up. It's starting to cause some cracking and I'm really getting sick of the noise when it slams back down.

This got me thinking about increasing the size of the opening and installing some type of telescoping or folding ladder. This would prevent the cover from lifting up on those windy days and I'm hoping the springs/hardware that hold the pull down covers up would also keep the wind from pushing it down.

Looking for opinions/pictures/ideas if anyone has something like this. My ceiling is roughly 12ft, so my options at the local hardware stores are quite limited. The prices seem to vary from $300 all the way up to $3,000 and I'd like to stay near the bottom of that range.

Wapiti1

WKR
I did a pull down folding wood ladder into the attic in the garage. Easy install. Way better than getting a ladder and pushing that rinky dink drywall piece up in the laundry room.

It's a Louisville Ladders brand. I'm pretty sure it cost under 300.

Jeremy

Superdoo

WKR
Done. $240.

They can be a little finicky to install but really not bad. Just make sure you follow the instructions for supporting the rafters properly before you start cutting!

kopecsean

FNG
Ditto on both responses. Had to order online
854d39401aff27d4e4ed4a2dae4bbcbf.jpg
788de44808e2b8e2f2492b72295e32e4.jpg
9732f45d2a50f220864880b3a79bcf08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Interestingly we were just talking about this today. A friend fell and shattered his ankle and another fireman in town was killed. Both falling from these stupid pull down ladders. You almost always are carrying something up or down. They are a death trap. When I built my house I put in a full stairway up. Cap that opening and do everything you can to move over against a wall and build a real stairway with a moderate incline and a handrail.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My friend who knew the dead fireman now uses his safety harness and a retractor to go up and down. The average construction fall death is 11 feet according to OSHA. Sorry to be Debby Downer but safety first here!

OP
ndbwhunter
Interestingly we were just talking about this today. A friend fell and shattered his ankle and another fireman in town was killed. Both falling from these stupid pull down ladders. You almost always are carrying something up or down. They are a death trap. When I built my house I put in a full stairway up. Cap that opening and do everything you can to move over against a wall and build a real stairway with a moderate incline and a handrail.
Sorry to hear that. I guess the same could be said about any ladder really.

OP
ndbwhunter
The more I think about it, my storage up there is really limited to a few pieces of siding, so I won't be using it unless I need that extra siding. That area is not meant for storage and is really just trusses and insulation. I could probably get by with modifying what I've got by adding some weight and possibly some latches.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I built a "box" of sorts with plywood bottom and 2x6 sides for my cover, and placed of batt insulation in it, stapled down (kinda like you would in a wall). Add a couple of hook latches to hold it down and it will stay, plus you get the benefit of the insulation layer. i suppose you could weatherstrip the opening as well for more insulation.

Just make sure you make it big enough to slide around in the attic space and not have to be taken out to get up there.

def90

WKR

How is that different than carrying something up and down a ladder? I’m guessing these guys were trying to go down it facing forward like a regular staircase when you are supposed to go down it backwards like a regular ladder. I can tell you that working construction I am up and down in attics on a regular basis and the fold down access ladders are way better than a step ladder.

Laramie

WKR
Adding some weight and a latch is a good idea. I have found for ME 90% of what I put in my rafters should have been hauled to the dump :)
If I could just convince my wife we don't need to save everything from the start of time... For the past 10 years I try to throw something old away when she isn't home. It has helped but we still have a bunch of stuff we will never use. And Pintrest can kiss off. The silly craft ideas cause her to collect more junk that we never use.

Sorry rant over. I second the actual stairs. I built mine just using online plans- really was very simple and safe to go up and down.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful if you have trusses. They're not really designed for much load on the bottom cord (even though everybody throws a bunch of stuff in the attic). Be careful on ladders or really steep stairs too; sometimes things that don't seem very inherently dangerous can cause some serious injuries if you let your guard down.