Garage gun storage

Julius K

FNG
Can a gun safe be kept in an un heated and un insulated garage in northern US? I have read about golden rods, desiccant packets, etc.

our new old home is not very conducive to getting it up stairs, down stairs is not a great option.

thanks for the help.

JoeDirt

WKR
My only concern would be the gun safe trapping moisture if it was opened on a humid day. Im about 100 miles from the coast none of my tools rust in my garage.

I would guess a well ventilated steel gun cabinet might work ok.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have one in the garage in Indiana. Install a goldenrod, and you'll be fine. It just needs a plugin next to the safe.

Jeremy

Maverick1

WKR
I have not tried it, nor done the research, but would be concerned about moisture. Keep mine indoors. (Something else to consider: the outlets in garages are on GFCI switches. If you go with a goldenrod, or similar device, would be a good idea to get some sort of alarm so you don’t go months without power to the device. Small investment to protect your assets.)

I personally wouldn’t keep one in the garage due to theft risk. It’s extremely easy to break open a garage door. It’s also difficult to put an alarm system on a garage if your using it to park cars. Your garage is also visible to anyone waking by when you pull in.

Have you considered buying two smaller safes instead of one big one? There is added security to that because thieves would have to break into two safes to get everything.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a couple in the garage and over the last 4 years I’ve have zero issues. In the new house I did bolt both to the floor even though they’re ridiculously heavy and it’d be near impossible for someone to get them out.

As far as moisture I have a couple of these and they’re great. Have to plug them in over night about once a month but since I don’t have an outlet where the safes are it’s the best option. I’m on year 4 with these and would go the same route again even if I had a place to bring the safes inside.

I have my safe in the unheated garage with a large goldenrod now for about 20 years and zero problems. As far as safety from theft I have 24/7 security service with door ajar devices, motion detectors, fire/smoke detectors and cameras throughout the house including the garage.....theft just aint happening. Its worked quite well for me.....state police are there in under 15 minutes (2 live within a 1/4 mile) and fire trucks even quicker. Plus I can monitor things from my cell phone. Unless you are the invisible man AND have powers to walk thru doors w/o opening them...you aint going undetected and you will be caught/cuffed before you even find that safe.