Garden Hose and Sprinkler

treillw

WKR
Finished up building a house. Need to get a couple hoses and sprinklers to get some grass planted. Suggestions?

Most hoses are crap that they don't tighten and leak. Other than going to Lowes and grabbing whatever is on the shelf, I have no idea what would be a better product.

Suggestions?

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know the brand, but I always get the contractor grade hoses with the largest diameter they have...I believe it's 3/4".

As far as sprinklers I buy the all brass impact sprinklers. You can daisy chain them together to get the most coverage. They've worked well on my little alfalfa patch in my back pasture.

gelton

WKR
Gilmour pro 3/4 inch or 3/4 inch contractor hose from Home Depot.

If you are well versed on pvc fittings seninger wobblers but you would have to build about a 3 ft riser off a 3/4 T using male and female hose fittings on the bottom...they can be spaced out ~20 ft per depending on the nozzle you fit inside the sprinkler and work on low pressure so you can run at least 4 at a time.

Just stake em into the ground with rebar and zip ties

Last edited:

CCooper

WKR
Find a hydraulic/ hose shop where you live. Our hydraulic supplier builds them for us with continental brand hose and they are worth every penny. I am going on close to 10 years on a few I have around the house. Cheap garden hoses drive me nuts. They need to roll-up nice and neat on the hose hangers. Rain Bird brass impacts with the largest nozzles get my vote for above ground, the plastic pop-up's work great for underground as well.

Finch

WKR
Some suggested 3/4" contractor hoses. I bought some several years ago and they have held up extremely well. Only problem is if they have any length to them, they might not all fit on a hose reel. They are a little harder to handle and I hear my wife complain every time she has to pull it out to water the plants. Just something to consider.

4ester

WKR
Instead of dragging hoses, for a new yard id highly recommend biting the bullet and putting in a real sprinkler system. It’s easy now………nothing to mess up and will have better coverage then a hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put in an underground sprinkler system as well. I put one in my backyard last year, 90’ X 60’ and this year in the front 60’ X 30’. I pump water from one of those giant irrigation ditches though. I would put one in even if I had a lot smaller lawn. I use the Rainbird pop up rotary heads.

rclouse79

WKR
This post is further evidence that Rokslide is the only forum you need. Need advice on home maintenance? You are covered. Marital advice? No problem. Feel the need to get in a political pissing match with someone you don’t know? You bet. Need a supporting community to share your most personal secrets with? Absolutely! Some of the hunting advice can be a little suspect, but that is to be expected with such a diverse group of experts.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
This post is further evidence that Rokslide is the only forum you need. Need advice on home maintenance? You are covered. Marital advice? No problem. Feel the need to get in a political pissing match with someone you don’t know? You bet. Need a supporting community to share your most personal secrets with? Absolutely! Some of the hunting advice can be a little suspect, but that is to be expected with such a diverse group of experts.

Look at all this great advice! I always feel like a moron making these posts, but they pay off haha.

CorbLand

WKR
I will second who ever said to put a sprinkler system in before you put your lawn in. I landscaped for 10 years and its way easier to put them in before. You can let equipment do the work way easier when its just dirt.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I don't know if I'm going to ever need an underground sprinkler system. They area we are in is very green compared to the rest of town. On the road up to the house, there is 3 ft tall bright green grass, while wildfires are burning up all around. Aspen trees on the property. The native grass around the building site is nice and green as well. It stays green here pretty well into August.

I was thinking I could get away with no sprinkler. I was thinking of planting some creeping red fescue. It's supposed to only get 4" tall and require minimal water. That is what the seed store said to plant. I don't plan on mowing it - just letting it go and looking natural like the rest of the mountain side. Mixing in some native wildflower seeds with it.

Think I'll be able to get away with it??

wapitibob

WKR
For a hose, get the Zero G and don't look back. Best hoses I've had in my lifetime.

If you have a smallish area you can do a simple set up for next to no money. 3/4" white pvc, some sprinkler heads, and a home depot 4 section controller. There is no way on earth I'm spending $5000 on a sprinkler system. Bury the pvc 6-8", blow out for the winter with your little air compressor, then blow some rv antifreeze thru it for winterization. Bring the controller inside as it won't take any freezing. The pvc screws right to the outlets of the controller with those hose bib connectors.

IMG_4160 (Medium).JPG

WRM

WKR
Zero G hoses are great. Don't waste money on the "contracting" hoses. You won't get a season out of them.

Do mostly native landscaping and avoid the need to sprinkle as much as possible. I don't know how it is where you are located, but it's sure looking like a lot of the West is going to be out of water in the near term if something doesn't change soon. The days of large grass lawns may be numbered. A lawn is trying to die the day you put it in anyway.

As noted above, those $50 or so 4 zone controllers are great, particularly if you set up a micro system. I've got a couple that are on their 4th season and showing no signs of puking yet. You do need to protect them from freezing weather.