Garmen inreach compared to the Bivystick

Has anyone compared the bivystick to the inreach mini? All I see is the battery is larger on the bivy stick and you can charge your phone if needed with the bivy battery. But you can use the inreach by itself if your phone dies. Any suggestions?

luch79

FNG
Has anyone compared the bivystick to the inreach mini? All I see is the battery is larger on the bivy stick and you can charge your phone if needed with the bivy battery. But you can use the inreach by itself if your phone dies. Any suggestions?

I’m curious also. I’ve moved to using my phone more and more. I use it as my GPS, my camera and even for listening to podcasts if I get stuck in the tent because of weather. Battery seems to be the big hang up with the phone on long 7 day plus hunts. The bivystick at 7 oz isnt that light... or small.

92xj

WKR
I've been researching this as well and need to do a little bit more math comparing the plans. If wanting to be able to text more than 40 times in an out, the mini might win. The bivystick plan is odd to me at the moment.

92xj

WKR
I think I have this figured out.
For me, this would be a monthly activation only thing.
Inreach mini freedom plan for $65 I get unlimited text, sos, tracking points, location points and basic weather.
Bivystick plan for $53 I get 110 credits, one text sent is a credit, one text received is a credit, share location is a credit and weather check is a credit. I could see credits being used up very quickly if craziness happens in the field or at home.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have also been looking at the SATPAQ unit. Their plans are more workable including $.29/text option. Anyone used this one? Got a bunch of design awards.

WTFJohn

WKR
The ability to activate the SOS on the Mini via the device itself (flip open a small door, push button) instead of having to use my phone to launch an app and then type SOS makes them two very different types of devices in my opinion. For me the SOS function is the primary reason I carry it, texting and weather are just nice side benefits. Both devices use GEOS for the SOS response, I'm not sure if you can get the additional GEOS insurance (100k coverage/$17yr or $1mil evac/$130rd) thru Bivystick like you can Garmin.

I have a fullsize Inreach Explorer SE, a Mini, and the Instinct watch and honestly I'm not sure what setup could be better. The Mini pairs with my watch and my phone, I can send preset messages from the watch, start/stop tracking, and activate SOS via the watch. SOS is available via the phone app as well, but again the MIni is capable of being a standalone device.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know what satellite network the Bivystick runs on?

Just heard back from them, its iridium, same as inreach.

Last edited:
How is the satellite signal on the Inreach? I have a SPOT and it works well but I dislike having only one preprogrammed message and not being able to text.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
WtfJohn nailed it... the sos feature is critical to have accessible as when it is needed it is NEEDED.

We used the in reach in Alaska and it worked great. We had pretty open skys where we hunted. Unsure how the coverage would be in more rugged country.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ve used my inreach in some pretty nasty terrain and never seem to have a problem with signal. Heck I’ve even used it inside the camper as long as it’s somewhat close to a window it’ll still send a receive messages like normal.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for bringing back a year old thread but has anyone tried the bivystick here yet Debating this very same thing now