Garmin 66i vs Explorer

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two? I like the idea of the better GPS functionality and maps of the 66i but I'm not sure its worth the hit to battery life. I typically have a lightweight solar panel and battery pack anywyas, so I'm not so sure the battery life difference would be much of an issue anyways.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I had an explorer and now have the Montana 700i. It is fabulous albeit a bit big. The touch screen quality is awesome, especially in bright sunlight. I bought a 2nd battery and never had to use it. Love not needing to bluetooth to my phone for better texting. Sorry, no experience with the 66i. I never cared for the non touch screen Garmins. Internet said it initially had some glitches. I assume those have been fixed or patched.

OP
Alaskanopolis
I had an explorer and now have the Montana 700i. It is fabulous albeit a bit big. The touch screen quality is awesome, especially in bright sunlight. I bought a 2nd battery and never had to use it. Love not needing to bluetooth to my phone for better texting. Sorry, no experience with the 66i. I never cared for the non touch screen Garmins. Internet said it initially had some glitches. I assume those have been fixed or patched.
The weight and battery life has been what's steered me away from the Montana so far.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry a 450T and the explorer just because the explorer sucked as a gps with respect to maps and contours. So the weight is a wash for me carrying one vs two. I thought the 700i size might bug me but it did not. I am old enough where i needed my reading glasses for my 450T but i dont with the 700i, so thats a plus.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 66i and really like it. Like you, I carry a battery pack so the shorter battery life on the device isn’t really an issue. The GPS/maps functionality is top notch and have used it both in the states and in Africa. The mapping/live updates to an online map is pretty sweet too (not sure if the explorer does this or not).

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in this. I’m trying to decide between the two also. I’m leaning towards the 66i only because it’ll be my one and only device and I’ll be keeping it for the life of it. I just hate the price tag of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both and used them daily for about 2 years on the Explorer+ and about a year on the 66i. the battery life it for sure longer on the Explorer, however being able to add quality maps and the way everything works on the 66i is the winner for me by a long shot.
If you turn off whatever you don't need, keep the screen locked and on lower back light settings I get about a 5-6 day work week out of it without charging (turned on for about 8-10hrs/day).

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cheers,
Andy