Garmin 66i vs Garmin Montana 700i

PredatorX

WKR
I needed to upgrade my old Oregon 400t and also needed to start carrying an inreach so figured I would bring in the latest two gps/inreach units.

I had no doubts in my mind I would be sporting the 700i this year. That is, until I opened up the packaging and saw its comical size. I really wanted to like this unit but I believe it is just too large. There are some really impressive things I like with the unit but after considering I also use onx on my cell phone, there was no way I was carrying both around.

- very responsive touchscreen
- large screen
- excellent build quality
- user interface is much faster with the responsive touch screen.

Dislikes:
- form factor is just too large
- still using micro usb

All in all, I believe Garmin fell short in this form factor. They should have made the size in between the 66i and 700i. Just holding the unit in my hand feels burdensome. Like you are holding a small brick. I know lots of people were hesitant to adopt the large cellphones when they came out and now everyone has one. However, not only is the 700i long and wide but it is also thick and pretty heavy.

In comparing it to the 66i, I was surprised to see the torch a little brighter on the 66i. The 66i also did seem to do a little better job with satellite reception in the short window that I was comparing the two. The user interface and speed of navigation around the menu system was of course much better in the 700i. Boot up times were about the same for both units.

For those wondering, the 700i does not fit comfortably in the front of my AGC classic. Aside from carrying in a belt pouch, your options are pretty limited.

I know lots of individuals are wondering if the onx chips will work in the 700. I have a chip coming in and should be able to test once it arrives.

She's a beast!
dd81ba98daed19013cc7c6daf7e69db6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wentrot

FNG
I went with the 66i after much thought. I’m glad I did now after seeing that comparison. I’m sure lots will enjoy that screen size though!

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
For me the choice boils down to being able to type on the screen. As it stands with my inReach now, I always pair to my cell phone and compose messages on that. Being able to easily compose messages on the 700i is a huge benefit for me at least. As a GPS unit, I could get by with something a lot smaller.

BigPrince

FNG
Dang, was just looking at buying one of these and checked onx which I use on my phone and see they list both the 66i and 700 series as not being compatible.

66i is way faster at sending/ receiving & Gets better reception. The 700i was a good idea on paper , just poorly executed. The same horrible resolution as the 66i. on a larger screen. Menu is still clunky, and there is no home option in the drop down menus, so its hitting the back button 5-6 times to start a different option. No weather without cellular service, No case available either. Another Garmin turd.

Update, birdseye is not downloading and is a know issue with Garmin, per online chat support from Garmin. 4 days in a row of "tech support " from Garmin resulted in a case number that someone will email me about, that is the solution.