Garmin 66i

Gobbler36

WKR
Those of you that have one what’s your take I like the consolidation of being able to have one unit now, but usually the first one of its kind has all kinds of bugs and such? Also worried about battery life

I am also interested in real world feedback on the 66i. I am considering this device for it's versatility. Seems to cover multiple needs in one small-ish package. It would be great to have this as a back-up GPS that can also handle basic communication and emergencies. Worth the extra expense if starting from scratch for DIY, OTC, Wilderness bow hunt (Sept elk)?

If you already own an inreach and you are going to take your phone, it’s a waste of space/weight/money. I’d have a hard time justifying a $500 back up anything.

If no inreach, then maybe if it seems like an option but I would still be leaning towards the phone/mini combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at this unit recently. They are on sale now. Can you text via your cell like the mini? Or do you have to text from the unit itself?

From what I know the "i" comes with inreach satelite communication. So in an area without cell coverage you can text home etc. I have a hunt coming up and I want something for that.

I just picked up the 66i. $100 off, $100 gift card helped. Also sold an older unit for a decent amount... so why not...

First impression is very good. Compact, versatile, intuitive.

Need to learn how to use it and give it a thorough test in Sept. Time will tell, but seems like a good purchase so far.

...if so, what format? Or, would it be better to go from Google Earth to OnX to the 66i with waypoints on a micro SD card?

rob86jeep

WKR
I was really torn between the mini and the 66i for a while. The reason I ended up with the 66i is because I figured my one true safety device shouldn't be the place to cut weight/size. I wanted the option to be able to text more easily if my phone went down for some reason and the backup GPS capability was just a bonus.

Sometimes I still wish I would have just gotten the mini instead (like when adding a pocket on my bino harness to store the 66i), but in the small chance that I need the inreach function and my phone is broke or dead, the 66i will be worth its weight in gold.