Garmin 66i

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the Garmin 66i.? I like the feature set on paper just looking for some real
world feedback.
TIA

I recently picked up one. I like the features, has been user friendly for me. Setting up the sat comms was easy too. Trying to figure out if there is a way to synch up my onX waypoints to the Garmin. Can anyone advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up one. I like the features, has been user friendly for me. Setting up the sat comms was easy too. Trying to figure out if there is a way to synch up my onX waypoints to the Garmin. Can anyone advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to have your onX chip in your computer. Then you can either download points from onX onto your chip, or vise versa from your chip to onX

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the Garmin 66i.? I like the feature set on paper just looking for some real
world feedback.
TIA

I have the 66i. I've only used it once so far so I'm not super comfortable with it yet, but so far I like it a lot.

pewpew

FNG
I've had mine about a year and I like it, although it is a bit of a brick. It's got way more features than I'm interested in learning how to use right now. Some days I wish I'd gotten the Mini and just use it paired to my phone to save some weight, and my phone is always on me. But it is pretty durable and easy to use. Overall I'm happy with it.

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
I've had mine about a year and I like it, although it is a bit of a brick. It's got way more features than I'm interested in learning how to use right now. Some days I wish I'd gotten the Mini and just use it paired to my phone to save some weight, and my phone is always on me. But it is pretty durable and easy to use. Overall I'm happy with it.

^yup

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
How is the battery life on the 66i? It's my understanding that you can place the unit in "expedition mode" that extends its life? Im just wondering how that translates to real world battery life.

Last edited:

pewpew

FNG
Using it in the normal(non-expedition) if you have tracking turned on, it would be around 2 days. Expedition would roughly double that, although I've never tested it until it completely dies. No tracking, turning it on periodically to see where you are and sending the odd text to the old lady would have you somewhere in the range of 10 to 14 days as my best guess. Again, I've never done any definitive testing, so these are my best guesses.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
Using it in the normal(non-expedition) if you have tracking turned on, it would be around 2 days. Expedition would roughly double that, although I've never tested it until it completely dies. No tracking, turning it on periodically to see where you are and sending the odd text to the old lady would have you somewhere in the range of 10 to 14 days as my best guess. Again, I've never done any definitive testing, so these are my best guesses.

Thanks pewpew, that is about what I thought it would be, not great battery life. I wonder how many times it could be charged in the field with a 10,000 mAh power bank.

PA Hunter

WKR
Thanks pewpew, that is about what I thought it would be, not great battery life. I wonder how many times it could be charged in the field with a 10,000 mAh power bank.
I have a 66i and a Poseidon 10,000 bank if I can remember I can turn it on drain it see how many charges I can get. May take a while.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 66i and a Poseidon 10,000 bank if I can remember I can turn it on drain it see how many charges I can get. May take a while.

Thanks, that would be super helpful to myself and a lot of folks who are interested in the 66i for extended backcountry trips!

I used the 66i for a few months in 2019 and got rid of it. I felt like the UI was a 10 year step back in time, similar to a push button flip phone, except slower, with only a directional toggle and no keys.. Graphics quality was horrendous to be nice, and at the time, Garmin had zero support for the device. No weather alerts are available without cell coverage which kinda defeats the purpose. I did activate and use the SOS feature on behalf of another injured hunter. The lack of touch screen or even a keyboard made communication almost impossible to do in a timely manner and is absolutely impossible to use with gloves or if you have suffered a traumatic/shock injury. I learned two things from my experience with the 66i, Sat phone is cheaper and hands down more effective in the long run,....and don't get lost/injured in Bonneville County if aint sunny & 70 degrees, cause they won't come looking for you.

rob86jeep

WKR
I used the 66i for a few months in 2019 and got rid of it. I felt like the UI was a 10 year step back in time, similar to a push button flip phone, except slower, with only a directional toggle and no keys.. Graphics quality was horrendous to be nice, and at the time, Garmin had zero support for the device. No weather alerts are available without cell coverage which kinda defeats the purpose. I did activate and use the SOS feature on behalf of another injured hunter. The lack of touch screen or even a keyboard made communication almost impossible to do in a timely manner and is absolutely impossible to use with gloves or if you have suffered a traumatic/shock injury. I learned two things from my experience with the 66i, Sat phone is cheaper and hands down more effective in the long run,....and don't get lost/injured in Bonneville County if aint sunny & 70 degrees, cause they won't come looking for you.
What sat phone do you use now? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and ditching the Garmin but haven't really looked into it yet.

Inmarsat isatphone2. I think its the best blend of coverage and usability at an unbeatable price point. Get the prepaid sim cards and don't look back. I rented two other phones before committing on the isatphone, its not the greatest UI but puts Garmin 66i to shame. Hands down.
I was a lifelong Garmin customer before the 66i really soured me on their products.

PA Hunter

WKR
Thanks, that would be super helpful to myself and a lot of folks who are interested in the 66i for extended backcountry trips!
Ok here are the results from my basement about 70 degrees with expedition mode off.

The 66i drained first time 25 hours and second time about 28 hours.

I got 2 full charges out of my poseiden 10,000 hr battery bank which took on average 3 hours to charge the 66i.

I still had one bar of power left on the poseiden.

I had expedition mode off on the 66i so it would drain fast on this recharge test.

Hope this helps.

I will be taking two poseiden banks with me after seeing this on my upcoming diy moose hunt for 10 days.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks PA Hunter!

I agree, 2 power banks is probably a good idea. Prior to your test, I was thinking one posiedon would charge the 66i around 3 times. So thats good info to have.

I'm assuming the 66i drained faster because it had a more difficult time acquiring a lock on the satellite from the unit being indoors. I would expect it to last longer outside, especially in expedition mode. However, I would much rather carry an extra power bank to be safe, especially on a moose hunt.

PA Hunter

WKR
Thanks PA Hunter!

I agree, 2 power banks is probably a good idea. Prior to your test, I was thinking one posiedon would charge the 66i around 3 times. So thats good info to have.

I'm assuming the 66i drained faster because it had a more difficult time acquiring a lock on the satellite from the unit being indoors. I would expect it to last longer outside, especially in expedition mode. However, I would much rather carry an extra power bank to be safe, especially on a moose hunt.
I think you are correct i am sure it was continually searching for satellites the whole time.

Montana 700i &750i are available now. 5 inch touch screen, full qwerty keyboard, 8mp camera, inreach etc., this is what should have been released instead of the crappy 66i.
I'm tempted but the 66i experience left me anti Garmin.