Garmin 755T?

PA Hunter

WKR
Thinking of buying two of these for my western Elk hunts and Alaska diy moose hunts. I am looking at them mainly for seeing where my hunting partner is if were separated by keying the mic.

For those of you that have this unit are you satisfied with them? Any complaints?

ghost338

FNG
I've owned and used them on various hunts over the last couple years. I'm satisfied with them for what they are... a great unit handicapped by FCC regulations.

A few words of personal experience:

The unit has variable output power, up to 5 watts. Since the unit communicates over radio frequency, the quality and distance of communication will depend on power and terrain. At times, in really thick stuff, I'm lucky to get a mile in distance. In the open, more.

Also, since the communication is over open radio, anyone on that channel can see/read the texts and know exactly where you're at. There's no "secure" channel that hides communication and location.

FCC limits texts to 13 characters.

FCC limits communication to every 30 sec.

There's no proof of message delivery. You have no way to know if the other device received your position or text.

Again, for what it is (with known limitations) it's great. If it fits your style of hunting, I think you'll be happy. If you need something with more certainty or security, I suspect you'll be looking at an inReach type unit and subscription.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I've owned and used them on various hunts over the last couple years. I'm satisfied with them for what they are... a great unit handicapped by FCC regulations.

A few words of personal experience:

The unit has variable output power, up to 5 watts. Since the unit communicates over radio frequency, the quality and distance of communication will depend on power and terrain. At times, in really thick stuff, I'm lucky to get a mile in distance. In the open, more.

Also, since the communication is over open radio, anyone on that channel can see/read the texts and know exactly where you're at. There's no "secure" channel that hides communication and location.

FCC limits texts to 13 characters.

FCC limits communication to every 30 sec.

There's no proof of message delivery. You have no way to know if the other device received your position or text.

Again, for what it is (with known limitations) it's great. If it fits your style of hunting, I think you'll be happy. If you need something with more certainty or security, I suspect you'll be looking at an inReach type unit and subscription.
Thanks for the reply, i didn't know any of that .