Garmin Fenix 5 Saphire or 5X?

204guy

WKR
So I was instructed to buy a gps/fitness watch for my fathers day present as I've been casually wanting one for awhile. With prime days Amazon currently has both the 5x and the 5 sapphire for $399, so time to jump. I've done the research and feel I understand the features fairly well, with mapping being the significant difference. My intended use is as an everyday activity tracker and hiking/hunting. Also paired with an Alpha. Haven't ruled out the instinct either but with current prices of the fenix 5's probably getting more value?

-5 Sapphire
Pros: smaller/lighter, better battery life
Cons: no maps

-5x
Pros: maps, how useful is the mapping feature. Is a public/private map able to be downloaded? I'll always have a smartphone with maps on it with me.
Cons: bigger/heavier. Some reviews put the 5X as being to big/bulky to be a practical everyday watch. Not as good of battery life as the standard 5.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't mind a big watch, i'd definitely go with the X model for the maps. I battled the same questions and ended up going with the Instinct because A. Smaller watch. B. Price point. C. I didn't really need the color maps/topo, but it'd be nice just to have. I've been pleased with it so far, as far a battery life and GPS/tracking. Whichever you do, be sure to download Garmin Connect AND Garmin Explore. Your waypoints won't save onto your watch(permanently-2 or 3 days at most) unless you download Explore.

I have the 5X and was concerned about the size andit turned out not to be a problem. Don't need my readers to see it either. I got the sapphire because I'm always bashing the face on doorknobs. When I need maps, I'm usually using onX but the watch has other features I really like. Battery life is at least a week between charges but that's also no problem because I'm charging my phone all the time anyway. REI puts it on sale a couple times a year. Highly recommend.

ohoopee

WKR
I have been wanting to upgrade my Suunto Alpha for a couple months.
I have to go somewhere and look at the different models. I am 56 and
need readers for everything. Hoping the color and larger size will be
easier to see. I love my Suunto.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve been lusting for the 5X plus for months, but that sale price yesterday got me interested in the sapphire as well.... got to make a decision soon...

You can’t cheat the mountain

So I was instructed to buy a gps/fitness watch for my fathers day present as I've been casually wanting one for awhile. With prime days Amazon currently has both the 5x and the 5 sapphire for $399, so time to jump. I've done the research and feel I understand the features fairly well, with mapping being the significant difference. My intended use is as an everyday activity tracker and hiking/hunting. Also paired with an Alpha. Haven't ruled out the instinct either but with current prices of the fenix 5's probably getting more value?

-5 Sapphire
Pros: smaller/lighter, better battery life
Cons: no maps

-5x
Pros: maps, how useful is the mapping feature. Is a public/private map able to be downloaded? I'll always have a smartphone with maps on it with me.
Cons: bigger/heavier. Some reviews put the 5X as being to big/bulky to be a practical everyday watch. Not as good of battery life as the standard 5.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

what did you end up getting? looking at them as well!

I have the 5x Sapphire.. I didn't buy it for hunting but the breadcrumb trails and maps are ok. I use it as a fitness watch and an everyday as well. I have only run the battery out once in a year(don't do that) but I can get 10 days with several 2 hour workouts with the GPS turned on.

I wonder what he got too!!!

OP
204guy

204guy

WKR
I got the 5x sapphire. I still have a lot to learn about how to use it. I'm probably not really even scratching the surface of the features. It's not overly intuitive to use it. I got 10 days out of the first charge (down to 20%) mostly using it as an everyday watch with a couple hrs gps use thrown in. Size wise it's big but manageable. I had some irritation on my wrist initially but that seems to have mostly gone away. The mapping feature is fine but I couldn't imagine using it in anything but an emergency or to just play with it. Accuracy is good, we did an 8.5 mile hike this weekend and it matched up pretty much exactly with my Garmin Alpha for odometer. Which reminds me I need to pair it with my Alpha and see how that works. For $400 I'm pretty happy with it, I don't think I could stomach full retail though.

ohoopee

WKR
I didn't like the map that came with the 5x plus. I tried loading a different map and had some issues so I purchased the Garmin 24k Topo map. I used it last week on a 4 day backcountry fly fishing trip before I really understood the full mapping features so I am still unable to discuss all of those features. However, the trail is easier to follow on Fenix than on my Alpha. I don't mind the larger size at all.

Jacack

WKR
i have the 5x and think its a good unit, heart rate is way off unless i use the chest strap. i wouldnt want to use the map as a main map but as a backup it would do.
my biggest complaint is the band, the keepers on the loose end come undone 10x a day . i am looking for other bands but havent seen one i like

204guy I am interested in your stone glacier R3 pack you have available. I am too new to the site to comment on that post. Please PM me if it is still available.

piercej

FNG
I didn't like the map that came with the 5x plus. I tried loading a different map and had some issues so I purchased the Garmin 24k Topo map. I used it last week on a 4 day backcountry fly fishing trip before I really understood the full mapping features so I am still unable to discuss all of those features. However, the trail is easier to follow on Fenix than on my Alpha. I don't mind the larger size at all.
Which maps did you try and what issues did you have? I've been considering getting one and using TopOSM maps with it.

Westy

FNG
Hopefully not to late for advice. I've had the 5X going on 3rd year (fielded for elk twice, will go on 3rd elk in a few weeks).

Pro
-Built in maps and way points, no need for 3rd party
-Accurate + HR + ABC data tracking (Ambient temp sensor for Baro/alt calcuation, so its the temp of the watch, not the outside air...unless you take it off for 10+ min)
- Tracking me all day will waste ~40% with GPS and HR (12+hrs in the field)
- For non hunting, cool activity tracker. Running / walking / local hiking it does great.
- Usefully data / split time on Connect App
- Lots of open source apps / watch faces / widgets in the app store

CONs (enough that I would not buy another)
- Garmin Connect App (for android) only syncs when it has cell signal. i.e if you're in the field, you cannot view the days data on your phone. Huge bummer.
- Lots of way points, etc...but the cardinal directions are sketchy. 2 years ago in the dark I was using my watch to guide back to my base camp and it added about a 1/2 mile of hiking due to it not knowing the cardinal direction. Obviously you can't draw a line from a single data point, but the orientation of the watch messes with the GPS.
- Battery / charging reliability - google to find all the issues, but my watch will sometimes overcharge and get so hot it hurts to disconnect the cable.
- Warranty - See above. Only good for 1 year, most batteries go after 2. I brought mine at cabelas and they wouldn't help either.

ohoopee

WKR
I loaded the US South Atlantic US Topo first. Great looking map. My issues had to do with several conversion apps to make it work on my Mac and then when I attempted xfer route to the watch not all the features of map would transfer. It was supposed to work and probably was user error. I still use that map on Mac to plan routes but just click over to Garmin map to xfer to watch.

Btw, switching from bluetooth to using a hotspot causes a few connection issues with iPhone. I usually have to reboot watch and phone for it to connect to hotspot for phone to connect. Took me a while to realize the watch wont connect to hotspot while bluetooth was active.

There is a good walkthrough on youtube from a British sounding guy that you can download and print and another on downloading non-gamin maps.

ohoopee

WKR
I really liked my Suunto Alpha for its simplicity but the map screen was just hard for me to see. The Fenix seems to make it easier for me to track my routes visually. I don't really use the body metric features on the Fenix but do like the Garmin pay and the occasional music. I have also turned off the phone notification features to save batter life on my iPhone.