Garmin Fenix 5x plus

ohoopee

WKR
Does anyone have it? Any tricks or short cuts for backcountry navigation?

Block

WKR
My GF bought me one this past
Month and I’m struggling to get it even close to accurate... the mileage was over 2 miles different from my GFs exact same watch on a 6 mile hike..,, the elevation updates at a turtles pace...driving up or down a mountain it will be over 1500’ off since it seems to only update every 10-20 Min or so.. When hiking the elevation is off by ALOT compared to my compass app or OnX,,, I work on a boat and set it to ZERO elevation and it was throwing out random elevations anywhere from -97 to +150 at sea level...the GPS struggles to get a signal everywhere... I’m not impressed so far but I’m sure I need to mess with the settings more

Last edited:
OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
I think I finally have mine dialed in. I have spent probably 15 hours on the thing.
I took it on a 4 day backcountry fly fishing trip last week and relied totally on my Suunto Alpha except for the time!!.

I downloaded several different maps when I returned and think I have the map thing down now. I do like the colored map screen and believe I prefer the tracking on the 5x plus to my alpha. I set up the Garmin pay and music yesterday and am looking forward to those features. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference with reception on the trails. The are all slow, even my SAT device can take 90 minutes to send or receive any data.

I will say it is a total PIA to set up. Part of the problem is I believe it is not iOS based. I use a Mac and iPhone and it seemed to I always had to download additional files for the maps. The Wifi is still hit and miss. I still reserve my judgment until I give it one more trip!!