Garmin Fenix 6x Sapphire GPS watch - Semi-Live Review!!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of years ago I reviewed the Garmin Instinct watch and to this day I don't think I've gotten more questions on a piece of gear than that watch. I love that Instinct and still use it today, but I wanted to explore deeper into the watch game. In my mind, the next step up from the Instinct would be a watch that had topo maps included and be able to add applications. So, I ran the idea by Black Ovis and even though watches are flying off the shelves, they thought it'd be beneficial to review this watch and compare/contrast to the other Garmin watch options so you can choose the right watch for your needs.

So yesterday I got the watch in the mail and powered it up. This is the Fenix 6X Sapphire watch, but it can be kind of confusing because there are multiple different models of the 6 plus different configurations of each model. The way I understand, the 6s is the smaller watch, the 6 is the mid sized and the 6X is the largest version. I have to admit that I realized it was the largest version after the order was in and the thought of a giant watch did concern me. After pulling it out of the box I don't thing it's too big at all. I like the big screen and it's not heavy. I picked up a Garmin Fenix 3 off of the forums a while back and this 6x is the same size but lighter.

So far I have changed the watch face to the configuration that I like, giving me a quick glance at battery, altimeter, date, steps and temperature. The temperature data is not off of the watch itself, it actually talks to your phone for the weather data. Then I changed the "hot keys" which are the buttons all the way around the watch and you can change them to do whatever you want. I've always set my watches up so holding the bottom left key will lock/unlock the buttons. Speaking of the buttons they have a very defined 'click' to them which I really like. The next thing I did was configure the GPS settings to GPS+Gallileo, changed the position format to UTM to match my maps and other devices. Then I changed my barometer setting to 'Altimeter', which I am pretty sure makes the change in barometer not effect the Altimeter but I'm going to double check that today.

Now just have to figure out how to run all of the extra things on this watch like the Pulse OX, maps and other apps.

e4844cfc9b8a4e6cba15e0e3f1e21dc0.jpg

cbdf7dfd11bfbce8fa9677e1fdd5d106.jpg

aadbf23aade1756df24d39288d1ac25a.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You already cost me a lot of money after all the good you had to say about the Instinct. I kinda hope you hate this one so I don't "need" another upgrade.

tgoff

FNG
Good gouge, I’ve had a Fenix 3 for the last 5years and have been debating on buying the bullet and upgrading to the 6

ohoopee

WKR
FYI, I just sent my 5x plus back for a replacement watch. I have always
had trouble with connecting with wifi on this watch but was otherwise
happy. Because I waited until it was out of warranty, the replacement
was 176.00. I contacted them yesterday and have UPS notification of
delivery today. I will say the watch has a steep learning curve and a PIA
to set up. Patience was an important variable. Giving the watch time
to perform certain tasks.

I've had a 5x since they were first out. It has been really bullet proof for me and I use it hard. I am a runner and, at least until recently a triathlete (up to and including full Ironman) so I use all the features of mine plus navigation for hunting. I gotta say the Fenix series is the cat's meow.

Great review on the 6x.