Garmin GPS MAP 64ST rechargeable battery pack

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Got rid of my Rino 650 this year in favor of the gps map 64ST because I wanted something USB rechargeable. I opted to try one of the garmin brand AA rechargeable packs and it seems to die rather quickly. I'm lucky to get 8 hours out of it on the mountain and then when I go to recharge, it takes forever, sometimes it never really gets to a full charge. For instance, today I've had it charging for 10 hours and my gps still is registering that it's charging. I have read similar reviews about the Garmin brand AA rechargeable battery packs. I've heard that you can use standard rechargeable AA's but you just need to install them in the little bracket thing that the Garmin batteries are in, so that the unit will allow you to charge them via USB. I'd rather not carry a bunch of disposable AA's on my trips as enjoy being able to keep my gear charged with power banks and a solar panel.

So, what are you guys using in your Garmin gps map 64st series?

Thanks,

Drew

xziang

WKR
I just use lithium batteries.

The 64 does like to eat up batteries due to the color screen I've found out. (I'm running a satellite chip). Wish there was a way for it to go into 'sleep' mode but still track your location.

JohnnyB

WKR
I have also read that you can disable one of the two satellite services, I think Glonas, along with turning off the barometer to save battery. So far I have just carried extra disposables but need a better long term plan.

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to do a test run with Lithium but one of the main reasons that I switched to the 64ST from the rino650 was because I wanted USB recharge capability. with the Rino I was going through 4 AA's per day or, the lithium ion pack would last a day as well. I went on an 8 day backcountry elk hunt in 2016. On that trip I packed 32 AA batteries!!! 4 per day because the Rino runs on either 4 AA's or the lithium ion battery pack. I always just ran AA's because I didn't like the idea of draining the lithium ion pack and then hauling it around. Some may wonder why I leave the gps on all day? One, I love to see how much mileage and elevation I'm putting in, and two I love being able to glance down and see what kind of promising topography is nearby, especially when in heavy timber and unable to glass.

Has anyone tried running regular rechargeable AA's in the Garmin battery clip that holds the Garmin pack together?

bbenn

FNG
Any updates on your testing? I'm trying to figure out the best battery combination also. I plan on charging at night from my Sherpa but want to maximize my efficiency as much as possible with the best performing/charging combination.