Garmin GPS - Which model?

OR Archer

WKR
So Id like to get a new GPS before season. Going with Garmin as the brand so I can utilize the Hunting Maps GPS chips. What model should I take a look at and why?

Craig4791

WKR
I prefer buttons on mine so I went with the 62csx. Any of the 62 models are great gps's. I also prefer to use models that take AA batteries instead of the rechargeable models.

The Hunting GPS maps are an awesome tool to have.

6t4nova

WKR
I'm using the Oregon 450t. If you are going to use the huntinggpsmaps then I don't feel the "t" model is necessary. I traded for mine and thats the only reason I have the "t"

littlebuf

Banned
i love my 62CSX but i dont need the radio function. cuz i dont have any friends...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I love my 450 and the touch screen. I drop a pin accidentally quite often, but it isn't much of a bother, and the ability to "text" a waypoint name more than makes up for it. I hate putting in names by scrolling through alphabet menus.

Jtreeman

FNG
I just bought a Montana 650t, it is to replace my Oregon 450t that I seem to have misplaced (also known as lost). I would agree the t is not necessary if using the chips, but it was actually cheaper than the standard 650. It is bigger than the Oregon, and a bit heavier, but I think the additional screen size is worth it for me. I was very pleased with my Oregon 450, and would certainly purchase another one, I just decided to go for the bigger screen this time.

--Jim

bnsafe

WKR
love my rino610 if your hunting with someone that has one. if not i would go with the etrex 20.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Oregon 450t, I bought it for my Wyoming trip last year and was very happy with it. I bought the chip for it also and I have nothing bad to say about either. I always knew exactly where I was and it was very accurate. Great tool for low visibility. Tells you the time, your elevation, how fast your moving, how deep in you are. I could do it with map and compass but the Oregon is a great tool for the money and I would buy it again.
John

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
I could also see where the private land detail would come in very handy in certain areas. It was very accurate for me

Beastmode

WKR
I have an oregon 550. It is basically a 450 with a camera. The camera isn't any thing special but you can take a picture and save it to a location. I found this nice when scouting multiple areas and remebering which one I want to go back to. Most of the time I never use the camera though.

CW_12

FNG
Another vote for the 450 T here. I love mine. One of the best pieces of hunting equipment I have ever purchased.

G Posik

WKR
I am still using my Garmin Colorado 400T. the screen was scratched up so bad it was hard to read. I was looking at the Etrex 20 to replace it with. I decided before I buy a new one try to get rid of the scratches. I used a headlight restore kit and screen is as good as new. So I guess I will keep using this one for a while longer.

Glenn

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using the Extrex 20 for about a year now when not bringing two Garmin Rinos along. I like it. Lightweight does everything I need for navigating. Certainly not as fancy as the touch screen models with all the bells and whistles but its simple, decent mapping, easy to operate and lighter and smaller than their more fancy cousins. :D