Garmin gpsmap 66i vs. Montana 700i?

sbsyncro

FNG
After several versions of "Spots", I used a Delorme Inreach SE for about 10 years. It finally got shaken to death on a recent off-road excursion that included several hundred miles of washboard. I called Garmin to get the 20% replacement deal but it looks like the Explorer (what they now call the InReach SE) is not available and they have no idea when/if it will be in the future. This leaves me looking at the GPSMap 66i and the Montana 700i and I'm really agonizing over the choice a bit...

70% of the use will be vehicle-based (either Jeep, SxS, or boat) and 30% on foot (generally day hikes while hunting; it may do some backpacking duty, but that's not something I'm solving for). I'm used to pairing with my phone and using the phone to send all my messages and interact with the SE using the Earthmate app. Being able to leave the phone behind would be really nice with the 700i (though I tend to still use the phone with OnX for maps/waypoints).

Based on my keyboard & butt-in-chair research, I see the following pros/cons:

66i
  • $100 cheaper
  • Much smaller/lighter form factor
  • Longer battery life
  • Less expensive/simpler powered handlebar and vehicle mounts
700i
  • Big, beautiful touch screen
  • Because of ^^ better for vehicular use
  • Much easier/faster to navigate and use because of touch screen
  • Could leave the phone in the Jeep when hiking, so combined weight would be similar
  • Can carry a spare battery

Common attributes
  • I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that both units are roughly the same in terms of messaging and app performance.
  • Both use a Micro-USB for charging (boo).
  • Both come preloaded with Active Top maps and Birdseye subscription

Am I missing anything from this analysis that someone with direct experience with either unit can educate me about? What about the vehicle mounts? The one for the Montana 700i Iooks very strong/robust, but the one for the GPSMAP 66i looks like it relies on the clip?? Will it withstand bouncing around on a rocky road?

Thanks for any advice any owners of either device can share.

royowens

FNG
After several versions of "Spots", I used a Delorme Inreach SE for about 10 years. It finally got shaken to death on a recent off-road excursion that included several hundred miles of washboard. I called Garmin to get the 20% replacement deal but it looks like the Explorer (what they now call the InReach SE) is not available and they have no idea when/if it will be in the future. This leaves me looking at the GPSMap 66i and the Montana 700i and I'm really agonizing over the choice a bit...

70% of the use will be vehicle-based (either Jeep, SxS, or boat) and 30% on foot (generally day hikes while hunting; it may do some backpacking duty, but that's not something I'm solving for). I'm used to pairing with my phone and using the phone to send all my messages and interact with the SE using the Earthmate app. Being able to leave the phone behind would be really nice with the 700i (though I tend to still use the phone with OnX for maps/waypoints).

Based on my keyboard & butt-in-chair research, I see the following pros/cons:

66i
  • $100 cheaper
  • Much smaller/lighter form factor
  • Longer battery life
  • Less expensive/simpler powered handlebar and vehicle mounts
700i
  • Big, beautiful touch screen
  • Because of ^^ better for vehicular use
  • Much easier/faster to navigate and use because of touch screen
  • Could leave the phone in the Jeep when hiking, so combined weight would be similar
  • Can carry a spare battery

Common attributes
  • I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that both units are roughly the same in terms of messaging and app performance.
  • Both use a Micro-USB for charging (boo).
  • Both come preloaded with Active Top maps and Birdseye subscription

Am I missing anything from this analysis that someone with direct experience with either unit can educate me about? What about the vehicle mounts? The one for the Montana 700i Iooks very strong/robust, but the one for the GPSMAP 66i looks like it relies on the clip?? Will it withstand bouncing around on a rocky road?

Thanks for any advice any owners of either device can share.
I'm also looking to one of these. Thanks for the comparison advise. My needs are a little different, as I'm a big game guide in Colorado and most if my needs are while I'm walking. I also just drew a 2022 Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep tag (archery) in CO and now is a good time to upgrade my equipment. I have been using an inReach SE for several years and the screen is difficult to read. To me is comes down to 4 things when comparing the Montana 700i or the 66i; 1. realibility/durability (will the size of a larger screen be more likely to break, etc.) 2. weight (hiking all day between 10 to 12k feet takes its toll will the extra ozs make a difference?) 3. battery life (on the sheep hunt I plan to stay out in the wilderness for several days at a time, and do not want to add extra weight of having to carry a solar charger), 4. ease of use ( will it be of added benefit and more advantageous to have a larger screen to use hunt apps/mapping and messaging tools?).

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Thanks for bumping this thread and reminding me about it. I ended up buying the Montana 700i and more or less regret it. I spent a lot of extra money on functionality that doesn't really suit my needs. It is exceedingly complicated to figure out (Garmin has literally four or five apps you have to use depending on what you want to accomplish). When I first got it, I spend probably 20 or 30 hours trying to load it with maps, learning Garmin apps for managing waypoints and routes, etc. At this point I have forgotten it, and unless you use it all the time, you will also forget how to use it because it is so unnecessarily complicated to fully utilize all the features.

At this point I would have been better off with an inReach Mini and a small iPad running GaiaGPS. The trans-reflective screen on the Montana works really well outdoors in daylight but SUCKS inside a vehicle. It is not bright enough to see unless it is dark, which makes it all but useless for vehicular travel. As mentioned, route planning is much too complicated, and like a lot of other Garmin devices it comes loaded up with way too much junk and too many overlapping applications. Honestly, as a career software/hardware product guy, I think whoever is in charge of product at Garmin should be publicly shamed and then fired. Seriously, it is a joke.

The Montana is for someone who already has mastered the idiosyncrasies of Garmin software and wants something bigger to carry around that is more "ruggedized" than an iPad (and is willing to pay a substantial weight penalty).

royowens

FNG
Thanks for the quick reply. What I really need in a Garmin is a reliable SOS feature because I do so much while I am alone, at least without a human around. I also need a GPS for those days when weather hinders my route finding abilities. I also like the feature on the inReach that allows me to send out tracking info to others so they can live vicariously through my adventures or know where to find my body.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Thanks for the quick reply. What I really need in a Garmin is a reliable SOS feature because I do so much while I am alone, at least without a human around. I also need a GPS for those days when weather hinders my route finding abilities. I also like the feature on the inReach that allows me to send out tracking info to others so they can live vicariously through my adventures or know where to find my body.
All of that could be done with an iPhone or Android phone and the inReach Mini. But then you are relying on the phone connection to the InReach (via Bluetooth) to send and receive messages. As a pure messaging device the Montana is great, but it is big and heavy and the battery life isn't great.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I was back and forth between the 66i and a mini 2.

REI has the 66i on sale this next week for $450
The mini 2 is $399 currently.

I believe the mini 2 and a smartphone is a superior option to the 66i

WMag338

WKR
I have had the 66i for a couple of years. For my needs, it works good. I use it as a backup GPS to my phone using OnX and for InReach capabilities. For me, my iphone on airplane mode using OnX is top notch, super easy to navigate menus, intuitive, etc. The 66i is a little clumsier, but it works. I know i could break my phone or lose it while afield, so having a backup of all my waypoints and inreach is very important to me. I have not used the new Montana so can't comment on that.

I recently upgraded to the 66i for the SOS. Been running a 64 series Garmin handheld for years. My main reason is all the backcountry stuff I do around Vermont. Cell service is horrid.

The 700i was compared as I liked the idea of having 1 nav unit between all the vehicles. Thought it would be neat to track all hobby travels. Weight/size and battery life lost in the end. Most of the time I carry the nav on the side of my bino harness or on a backpack strap. It was just too big.

Last edited:

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a explorer+ to the 66i. I forget the name of the older app, but the 66i uses the newer explore app to communicate with your phone and suddenly all the issues we all had with having to reconnect to get messages to sync are gone. I love the new app it seems to be 100% reliable.
My hunting group has 2 explorer+ and 3 minis. The mini has some restrictions and is the slowest to receive messages.

I'm very happy with my 66i

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
What are the restrictions with the mini? Or the mini 2 vs the 66i?

Seems Garmin may be releasing a new 66i soon as the explorer + is tough to find, and the 66i is marked down to $449 just about everywhere.

I’ve heard and read that you cannot get weather reports on the 66i without cell service. Did Garmin fix that?

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
What are the restrictions with the mini? Or the mini 2 vs the 66i?

Seems Garmin may be releasing a new 66i soon as the explorer + is tough to find, and the 66i is marked down to $449 just about everywhere.

I’ve heard and read that you cannot get weather reports on the 66i without cell service. Did Garmin fix that?
Idk about the mini 2, but the mini has less customization and you cant set it to check for messages as frequent as you can the others (I assume this is to conserve its battery, and probably why the people using minis seam much less responsive).

I believe there are two ways to get weather reports. Through the satellite like the other units and I have had no issues doing that, or you can get a better report similar to what you'd get on your phone but it would require cell service, but then I would just use my phone so I've never tried this way.

royowens

FNG
I have had the 66i for a couple of years. For my needs, it works good. I use it as a backup GPS to my phone using OnX and for InReach capabilities. For me, my iphone on airplane mode using OnX is top notch, super easy to navigate menus, intuitive, etc. The 66i is a little clumsier, but it works. I know i could break my phone or lose it while afield, so having a backup of all my waypoints and inreach is very important to me. I have not used the new Montana so can't comment on that.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the 66i.

WILLMCC

FNG
Does anyone make a solid holster for the Garmin 66i that would strap to a bino harness? Or at least something that could work for this application......