Garmin GPSMAP 66i

khunter1

FNG
I posted earlier about looking into the Garmin Montana 700i however, trying to weigh all the pros and cons between that and the gpsmap 66i and I am now leaning more towards the 66i. May just be the best of both worlds for what I am wanting. Hoping to get some opinions of others that have this and have some use on it?

I want the in reach capability but I also want a decent replacement gps for my Dakota 20 (works fine but looking for more). I will probably be using my phone and offline OnX and also the earthmate app for using my phone to text through the inreach service. The inreach mini looks good but I also want to addition to backup, or usable additional GPS. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

If I understand it correctly, the in reach mini 2 offers gps capabilities on it. Nothing major but breadcrumbs to get you back to camp safely. Also has the ability to have waypoints put into it to get you where you wanna go. Maybe this helps, maybe I misunderstood the video I seen yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

khunter1

FNG
If I understand it correctly, the in reach mini 2 offers gps capabilities on it. Nothing major but breadcrumbs to get you back to camp safely. Also has the ability to have waypoints put into it to get you where you wanna go. Maybe this helps, maybe I misunderstood the video I seen yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to check, it may do that. But with the little screen size I'd rather just pay the little extra and have a 3" screen I think. (I need to replace/upgrade my current gps so I'm wanting to knock that out at the same time as going with the InReach)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have it and love it. It's about the same size and feels a touch lighter in weight against the original explorer +. I don't do as much GPS work with it as I thought I would, more so because of onx on my phone, but I love the unit. Really good battery life.

OP
K

khunter1

FNG
I have it and love it. It's about the same size and feels a touch lighter in weight against the original explorer +. I don't do as much GPS work with it as I thought I would, more so because of onx on my phone, but I love the unit. Really good battery life.
I ended up buying the 66i and so far I'm really happy with my decision. It's the perfect size and so far has performed awesome

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Did Garmin update the 66i so that you can get weather reports on them without cell service?

WMag338

WKR
Did Garmin update the 66i so that you can get weather reports on them without cell service?
I can get weather reports on my 66i using the inreach service without cell service. Have to have an active Inreach subscription though.

Agree with these comments 100%. The color mapping is nice to have and will be better than breadcrumbs, but does not compare to OnX.

IMO... It's the best option for basic communication, emergency situations and a backup mapping/GPS system... all in one unit.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with these comments 100%. The color mapping is nice to have and will be better than breadcrumbs, but does not compare to OnX.

IMO... It's the best option for basic communication, emergency situations and a backup mapping/GPS system... all in one unit.
Have you used it with an OnX chip yet? Considering getting one for the sole occasion that my phone either dies or I don't download the maps as that's happened before.

Have you used it with an OnX chip yet? Considering getting one for the sole occasion that my phone either dies or I don't download the maps as that's happened before.

No. I just downloaded the satellite images from the Garmin site for the unit we were in. Even at high resolution, the detail was not great. And the device needed a little time to load new images when panning across terrain. Seems like satellite overlay caused the precessor to struggle.

Might be better with an OnX chip, but I haven't tried. Let us know how it works once you check it out.

I had read a review at some point that said the 66I may or may not read the On X chip. All depends on the formatting of the On X chip and how Garmin purposely set the programming to not read new chips to keep users utilizing the mapping software program. This kept me from buying the 66I and I went with the Inreach mini 2 to pair with my phone.

I have the OnX chip and downloaded the satellite imagery from Garmin. The OnX chip is way better. And you get the property information.

I had the OnX chip in my 64st and popped it into my 66i without any issue.

CodyAK

FNG
I use my 66i with the OnX chip. OnX said it wasn't compatible but called Barneys in Anchorage picked Kevins brain. Ended up getting the unit and chip... Updated everything needed on the computer and have had really good luck.