Garmin I reach mini, 66! Or rhino?

Aboyer35

FNG
I am headed out west and I am looking to see what the best opinion is for gps/communication. The guys I am going out with have the rhinos but they bought them for up at their camp. Not sure I’d get my full $ out of it. What’s your thoughts on the I reach mini and running onX or it it worth to invest in the rhino or 66i with the onX chip? What do you run?

muddydogs

WKR
Your kind of in a pickle, if everyone in your camp is using the Rhino and you want to talk with them your probably going to need a Rhino. In my opinion the Rhino is kind of worthless for communication unless your group stays fairly close together.

I have never bought into the Onx coolaid and use the earthmate app which comes with the purchase of an Inreach for all my mapping needs. Earthmate shows property boundary's and has all the topo and photo maps that I need.

If you use your phone for GPSing there is no need for the 66i, it looks like a great unit and if someone wanted a backup GPS unit to there phone it would probably be a great option.

For me my old Delorme SE Inreach, phone and Earthmate app get it done just fine even hunting Wyoming checkerboard lands for antelope. Once the SE gives up the ghost I'll get the Mini unless theres something better on the market.

dla

WKR
I think you can talk to the rhino-folks with an FRS/GMRS radio - you just won't be able to send them cooridinates.
You can then carry your InReach.