Garmin In reach plans

I really dont see the need to quibble over a miscellaneous charge.

If you cant afford the plan or inReach unit, move on.

Sure, I just wasn't wanting someone to read and believe one thing, execute on that, and then get hit with some charges they weren't expecting based on something they read on Rokslide.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

Exactly. We buy $1000 bows, $300 boots $600 packs but quibble about a few messages?
[/QUOTE]

Must be nice to have so much you don’t have to watch every penny. I find it much easier on my family and budget to get the best product for the money no matter if it is for a Swarovski BTX or “a few messages”. How did either of those smart a$$ comments contribute positively to this guy’s question? If you don’t have anything to say to help, why bother?

I really dont see the need to quibble over a miscellaneous charge.

Call it quibbling if you like...just trying to correct what I believe to be an inaccurate statement to help others make informed decisions. $0.50/message could add up to a significant (to me, maybe not to you) amount if one were to buy a non-unlimited plan and communicate frequently inReach-to-inReach thinking such messages are free.

Exactly. We buy $1000 bows, $300 boots $600 packs but quibble about a few messages
I must be doing it wrong...I spent less than half those amounts on all 3 pieces of equipment. 🤷‍♂️

cnelk

WKR
Exactly. We buy $1000 bows, $300 boots $600 packs but quibble about a few messages?

Must be nice to have so much you don’t have to watch every penny. I find it much easier on my family and budget to get the best product for the money no matter if it is for a Swarovski BTX or “a few messages”. How did either of those smart a$$ comments contribute positively to this guy’s question? If you don’t have anything to say to help, why bother?
[/QUOTE]

^^ I missed your part about saying something helpful?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I let him know to calculate outgoing AND incoming messages when picking a plan. If you send an “I’m OK” message and your wife texts back a dozen times (because she’s used to doing that) rather than all info in one message you can eat thru a low message plan quickly.

ChrisAU

WKR
There is some outdated info in here btw, the Recreation Freedom plan at $35/month is now limited to 40 TOTAL text messages, the next step up is the Expedition Freedom plan at $65/month with unlimited messages. No brainer here as me and another buddy will share the one to communicate with the wives at night.

I use the expedition plan throughout the year, being able to communicate when I want is important and I really like the free weather update each day/night or whenever I want to check it. I also lose cell service as soon as I leave the town of Fairbanks. Oddly enough, it's double what I pay for my current cell phone plan but overall still less when added to that plan for what I used to pay using ATT or Verizon. At least that's how I justify it :)

87TT

WKR
Old school here. So with the Freedom plan and Extreme plan you have $64.85 a month with a $24.95 annual fee. That means $89.90 for one month. Also, the Extreme plan is $50.00 more than the basic plan. With the basic plan, you get 10 free messages and I would have to make 110 messages before I broke even. I probably don't text 100 messages a month on my cell. Just doesn't make sense for me. And what if you need it for parts of two months?

OP
Whitetail Ridge Runner
Thanks guys sounds like the expedition plan is what I will go with since I'm sure my kids will constantly be checking on what is going on and then the wife wont have to limit their texting. And I'm sure hearing from my kids and wife more often will help being gone for that long.

rayporter

WKR
my safety plan has been on for over 2 years. if I go over the limit a time or 2 I figure I have still saved a ton.

I carry my inreach several times a month for my piece of mind. to have an expensive plan for that seems over kill.

87TT

WKR
For me the texting is just a bonus. I have never went over the 10 on the basic plan. I've had it on for over three years. Just plain cheap insurance. If I'm off fishing or hiking or just on a long drive through the middle of nowhere, I'm covered.

I used the unlimited plan for a couple of years and realized I really wasn’t using enough messages to meet the monthly cost. Dropped to the basic safety plan and haven’t noticed a big change in my bill for as often as I use it. Haven’t limited myself or buddies using it and still really never use all the messages to “justify” paying more than the safety price plus a little overage. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I carry mine a couple times a week, mtn bike or hiking solo out of cell coverage. As a family we are camping outside of cell service all the time. Safety plan works, $12 a month. I don’t hold text conversations with family while hunting, just a periodic we got one or i am good/how are you? It would take numerous overage to get to the higher plan cost. I get a year of service for similar to the unlimited freedom with activation cost.

I use the expedition plan during hunting season. On top of trying to kill stuff the last thing I want to do is count text messages. I’ve used it the past few years with no complaints from myself or the wife.

muddydogs

WKR
I'm with the others here that just use the Safety plan, For the cost of higher usage plans plus the $25 to down grade a plan I can send a bunch of messages and pay the $.50 per message fee before upgrading plans is worth it. If you keep the service going all year long on a higher plan and don't use the Inreach every month then your throwing away a bunch on cash and might as well just go with the cheap plan and pay any overages.