Garmin In Reach

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I have been debating on getting one of these, anyone have any experience, good or bad with this product? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance everyone.

USMC-40

WKR
I think there is a ton of discussion on this topic in the ‘gear’ section. My opinion, yes - I have one and use it frequently. Keeps my wife informed and I can text friends updates to hunt

Rokwiia

WKR
For years, I carried a PLB (ACR ResQLink) rather than a Garmin because I believe it was better if I was in deep woods, under the canopy of trees, and had to call in the cavalry. Now, I still carry my PLB but added the Garmin Inreach Mini.

There is tremendous value to be able to contact emergency personnel regarding the nature of your problem. Maybe you need a specific type of treatment and alerting them in advance would save precious time. A venomous snakebite comes to mind.

If I were starting over, I'd get a Garmin InReach (Mini in my case) and pair it with my phone. If, and when, extra resources became available, I'd buy a PLB. I'm convinced they will better call in the cavalry if the heavens rain down fire and brimstone.

The Achilles Heal of the Garmin Inreach system is human nature. You forgot to charge the battery, or renew your subscription, or you changed credit cards and your subscription was not renewed using the old credit card!

A PLB is a set-it-and-forget-it device. Buy it, register it and you're to go for 5 years. Nothing to remember. As long you'll be committed to faithfully charging the Garmin InReach device and keep your subscription active, I'd suggest, without hesitation, getting it first. Here is an excellent analysis of the difference between a PLB and a Satellite messenger and, at the 29:30 mark, he talks which one to select and how to coordinate having both of them.

Last edited:

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Garmin Inreach Explorer + for sale. I recently moved and couldn't find mine. I have about 6 weeks until I leave for my hunt so I bought another one from a Rockslider on Sunday. I found mine yesterday so when I get the second one this week it's up for grabs. $375 tyd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used the explorer version on a recent hunt. Worked great, battery life was pretty good, and the GPS was nice to have. It’s not crazy heavy, so I’d recommend it even if you’re an ounce counter. I couldn’t see myself running the mini after having the explorer

ODB

WKR
I have an older SE and it works damn well. I actually like having the extra buttons (as compared to the mini) that allow to you (albeit slowly) create a custom message right on the device versus having to pair the phone.

another thing...no need to leave the device on overnight. Turn it off and leave the SOS button unlocked. If you need the SOS, just hit the button and it will turn itself on and initiate the SOS. I’ve heard many people complain about battery life but they leave it on overnight. No need.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
If I get one I think it will be the mini, just seems like valuable thing to have. Plus its peace of mind for my wife, she's always worried that a bear is going to find me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Just returned from a 12 day hunt and using my Garmin Inreach Explorer+. Prior to this I have used sat phones. For my needs and use I much prefer having the Inreach. I only turned it on once or twice a day to check for/send messages. At the end of the hunt I was still at 92% battery life. I much preferred communication via texting with the Inreach to the phone calls of prior hunts with the sat phone.
Another big plus for me was at the end of the hunt still having a communication device of my own rather than turning the sat phone in, paying the bill, and having nothing.
Like I said, for my needs the Inreach works really well.
Hope this helps.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my inreach for 5-6 years at least. Hunt solo often. It's a great tool. Very nice keeping in touch at home! I'm tempted to get a mini just because they are much smaller and lighter!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Yes, unless you’re trying to send and receive txt messages from an AT&T user. They still can’t figure out the issue but garmin claims is AT&Ts problem. Yet garmin still charges me for txt messages that I send that never go through. This problem is off and on for the past few years.

jmav58

WKR
Got one this year to ease my now wife's worries and it's been great. Easy to setup and use so far.

UtahJimmy

WKR
If I get one I think it will be the mini, just seems like valuable thing to have. Plus its peace of mind for my wife, she's always worried that a bear is going to find me.

If you hunt solo, the peace of mind it brings to your wife will be priceless.

I bought the mini a few seasons ago and absolutely love it. I got the basic freedom plan and have it activated from June-Dec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I've had the mini since it came out, and one of the original InReach's before that. They are fantastic. The communication is nice to have, but I've really grown to rely and trust the localized weather reports as well. Used it to navigate thru a series of tropical storms in the Pacific during a sailboat race after all of our other electronics went down. Also used it to reposition during a sheep hunt this year and was able to keep hunting, instead of being hunkered down in a tent.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, unless you’re trying to send and receive txt messages from an AT&T user. They still can’t figure out the issue but garmin claims is AT&Ts problem. Yet garmin still charges me for txt messages that I send that never go through. This problem is off and on for the past few years.
Thats good to know, thanks

Braaap

WKR
I’ve had a mini for three seasons now and absolutely love it. Highly recommend. I set my service plan on unlimited during hunting season then move it to the cheapest plan during off season when I carry it for dirt bike and mountain bike rides.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
If you hunt solo, the peace of mind it brings to your wife will be priceless.

I bought the mini a few seasons ago and absolutely love it. I got the basic freedom plan and have it activated from June-Dec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She would probably let me stay out longer and go more often, sounds like a no brainer to me. Thanks for the advice!

As others have said it is a huge peace of mind for those that care about you; for that reason alone I never head west without mine.

Sixteen years ago I used a sat phone but the inReach is better (for me) in every way.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said it is a huge peace of mind for those that care about you; for that reason alone I never head west without mine.

Sixteen years ago I used a sat phone but the inReach is better (for me) in every way.
Thanks for the advice, just seems to make too much sense

I guess they're still working on fixing the AT&T issue. I have AT&T service and as of last night, I haven't experienced any problems sending or receiving.1600811873305.png