Garmin In Reach

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Wife told me I'm getting one this year. LOL So I guess I'm getting one.

I'm dreading having to learn yet another piece of technology. I sure hope it's easy.
I can relate, but it is always nice when the wife insists on me getting something for hunting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JonnyB

WKR
Wife told me I'm getting one this year. LOL So I guess I'm getting one.

I'm dreading having to learn yet another piece of technology. I sure hope it's easy.

It’s extremely easy. I bought it 3 hours before rolling out on a caribou hunt in 2018 and set it up in the sportsman’s warehouse parking lot. If you’re interested, I’m selling that one as I upgraded to the 66i this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one this year. I spend a lot of time in remote places. It’s been nice to have, but like others users have said, AT&T has some issues with it. My wife can track it and log in to see where the unit is. But I’ve been experiencing some messaging issues. It worked good the first few weeks then not so much the last two. Luckily one of the guys I work with carries a satellite phone so I can still call and check in at the end of the day. But it’s annoying paying for a service that isn’t reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
The secretary of the flight service I used this fall had AT&T phone service. Some of the other clients were having trouble contacting her phone with their Inreach so she had them send messages to her email instead. That worked just fine.
As a side note, the odd thing was some of us had no problems texting her phone while others did. Not sure why that was.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
The secretary of the flight service I used this fall had AT&T phone service. Some of the other clients were having trouble contacting her phone with their Inreach so she had them send messages to her email instead. That worked just fine.
As a side note, the odd thing was some of us had no problems texting her phone while others did. Not sure why that was.
Thats interesting, so it sounds like it could be a little hit or miss

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am in the maritime SAR business. The distress function on these things most assuredly activates the SAR system. The Coast Guard handles the alerts that come from maritime areas. The Air Force coordinates land based alerts.

Rokwiia

WKR
I would suggest that once you get the InReach to customize the quick preset messages to your particular situation. Contemplate the type of medical issues or accidents that could arise and have those set up. For example, I created a quick text that says I've been bitten by a Timber Rattler and en route to my car and then to "X" Hospital.

I've also set up the telephone numbers of state forest rangers in the area I'll be going. That way I could have a text dialogue directly which could be invaluable.

Fewer things to deal with if a crisis hits.

Bld6159

FNG
I would suggest that once you get the InReach to customize the quick preset messages to your particular situation. Contemplate the type of medical issues or accidents that could arise and have those set up. For example, I created a quick text that says I've been bitten by a Timber Rattler and en route to my car and then to "X" Hospital.

I've also set up the telephone numbers of state forest rangers in the area I'll be going. That way I could have a text dialogue directly which could be invaluable.

Fewer things to deal with if a crisis hits.
Thats a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Been using mine for 6 or 7 years from all over Alaska to Wyoming. Excellent piece of gear, carry it with me all the time in the woods which is about 200 days a year.

I have a mini and my wife loves the fact she gets a map link to my location when I send her a text

tttoadman

WKR
I have the old simple SE and it is great. I have it with me every time I head out in the woods. I carried it with me for a week here in oregon out fighting local fires. I keave the service on year round.