Garmin In Reach

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Essential part of my gear and I've had no issues using mine.

Yates

FNG
I've been pleased with the use of mine, no issues experienced. I wouldn't use AT&T if it was provided free to me, I've always had issues in dealing with them, not with the Inreach, just in general.

Wrench

WKR
I was worried about the possibility of text not going through while on my 15 day solo this year. I made sure to send redundant messages to my wife's phone and email every time I sent a message. Sometimes the sms beat the email.... Sometimes not, but she always got one, the other or both.

GotDraw?

WKR
Great piece of gear. Much peace of mind for my girlfriend. Also allows me to reach the local outfitter to schedule packout timing for meat pick up and shows him the location.

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
Cool.
I am more concerned about some genius reading this chain later.
Same kind of sophomoric humor that thinks it's funny to walk into a place pointing a replica gun around.
"HEY... but it's a FAKE and UNLOADED"

Buy the InReach. It's great. Dump the messaging plan fee in the off season.
  • Be sure to upload your Garmin w/the latest s/w before you go
  • Be sure to put the unit outside and send and receive a text or email mssg before you head out
  • Charge it at least 1x-2x/yr in the off season, lithium batteries last longest if they are not drawn down often
  • Don't use tracking unless your spouse is completely paranoid about your whereabouts, it'll eat batteries
  • I use mine 2x/dd to check mssgs and send a note to my girl. Batteries last at least a week this way.
Best,

JL

It's all good. I saw it coming. ;)

If I'm dumb enough to fall for it, I deserve to pay the stupid tax associated with it.

Cool.
Same kind of sophomoric humor that thinks it's funny to walk into a place pointing a replica gun around.

• Be sure to put the unit outside and send and receive a text or email mssg before you head out
  • Charge it at least 1x-2x/yr in the off season, lithium batteries last longest if they are not drawn down often
  • Don't use tracking unless your spouse is completely paranoid about your whereabouts, it'll eat batteries
  • I use mine 2x/dd to check mssgs and send a note to my girl. Batteries last at least a week this way.
Best,

JL
Thanks. My wife neither needs or wants to track me. LOL She'll be busy teaching chemistry to a bunch of teenage Covid carriers.

KurtR

WKR
Cool.

Best,

JL

pointing a fake Gun is no where the same. If some one is dumb enough to fall for that they probably shouldn’t be out in the woods anyway.

Ram94

WKR
And actually, you can test the SOS function on an Inreach. It’s on their website. You just have to schedule it with GEOS.

Not a bad idea either.

Last edited: