Garmin InReach Explorer + Navigation Question

TX_Diver

WKR
Does the GPS/Navigation function work on the garmin inreach units without a subscription? Interested in getting one as I've been hunting solo recently. Some hunts I have cell service on though and it'd make a decent back-up GPS.

Same question for the mini although I recognize that the nav functions on the mini are even more limited.

Been looking around online for the past 30 minutes or so and couldn't find that answer so hopefully someone here knows from experience.

Cheers!

muddydogs

WKR
I would have to check to be sure but from what I remember you can't get past the screen that says your device needs activation with the SSN and activation code for the device so no I don't think you can use the GPS without activation.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Right on. Appreciate the feedback! Also interested in if the OnX chips work but think that one would've been advertised clearly if that was the case.

If anyone can confirm 100% that you do need the subscription to use GPS that'd be great.

Muppence

FNG
I don't know about the subscription for GPS. Onx definitely WON'T work.
The new GPSMAP 66i will work for the onx chip and will work as a gps without a subscription

Jethro

WKR
I have my subscription suspended till I need it next season but the gps still functions. Start up screen says active subscription is needed for messaging, tracking, and SOS.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Just checked mine; same thing with regards to the start screen. It actually says the message about needing the subscription even though I have one but either way does not impede the standard GPS function.