Garmin inReach Mini 2 vs inReach GPS

Is the mini 2 enough on its own without having GPS capabilities and only a trackback function? or do you think the extra $ is worth it to have the standard size with full GPS? I generally just rely on my phone for GPS with OnX and take a battery pack to recharge my phone

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think keeping your emergency communications battery separate from your navigation battery is a good idea.

If you get the GPS unit, are you going to leave you phone at home/in the truck? If the answer no, just get the mini 2. The full sized Explorer+ is the most functional from a battery and communications standpoint while having some GPS navigation functionality (and has replaced my mini in the field).

Austink47

WKR
I am a big fan of the explorer. From what I have seen the mini is essentially just a PLB without being paired with a phone. The explorer serves as back up navigation. The explorer is all I need making the phone more of a nice to have rather than an essential item.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I am a big fan of the explorer. From what I have seen the mini is essentially just a PLB without being paired with a phone. The explorer serves as back up navigation. The explorer is all I need making the phone more of a nice to have rather than an essential item.
The mini works without a phone, it is just a bit more tedious than the Explorer to type messages on.