Garmin inreach mini

I am very interested in one of the Garmin inreach devices. I'm leaning towards the mini because of price and the fact it's only really going to be used for emergencies and the ability to talk with my wife and allow her to know where I'm at, no interest in the mapping and GPS function. Also if someone has one for sale let me know.

rob86jeep

WKR
I'm torn right now on buying the mini or explorer. I only plan to use it paired to a phone but am thinking if it's worth the extra bulk to have a backup GPS capability and longer battery just in case.

tdot

WKR
My mini lasts about 24 hours if its left on and I send/receive 20 or so messages. (Building an offgrid cabin while wife is week from due date = lots of checking in!)

How long does yours last if left on all day? Or how do you use it in the field?

I usually leave mine on throughout the day and recharge it back at camp/truck. I'd guess it would last 2 full days of hiking.

On an extended hunt with no recharge capability, I plan on leaving it off and turning it on when necessary.

My favorite part of the Mini is it is so small and lightweight. It goes everywhere with me. Hiking, scouting, fishing, atv riding.

I've been contemplating a InReach Mini purchase as well, and the fact that you have to have a subscription to even use the GPS capabilities on the explorer makes that less appealing, for no other reason than why pay for functionality you can get on your phone for free?

I've been using the Mini for a year now. The biggest drawback is that it's almost useless for communications without a smart phone. Navigating through the menus, etc on that tiny screen is confusing and difficult.

On the other hand, hook it to the app and use it that way and it's great. For most people, that is going to be a good system.

For extended off-grid trips where you don't want to keep multiple electronics operational, I think the Explorer still has appeal.

ozyclint

WKR
I've been using the Mini for a year now. The biggest drawback is that it's almost useless for communications without a smart phone. Navigating through the menus, etc on that tiny screen is confusing and difficult.

i've been considering getting one but this is my concern about the mini. i'd rather they make it bigger if they had too to allow easier texting functions. they assume everyone wants to carry a smart phone. yet they boast that communications with rescuers is such a good feature. it is, if it is easy to do so, especially since you might be dealing with some sort of impairment in a rescue situation. i don't know why you would make a product that is heavily reliant on a third party product.

i don't want to use the mini in conjunction with anything else. i don't want it for GPS or mapping, just turn on once a day to tell others i'm ok and get a weather report, that's it.

i'm almost considering waiting for the next best thing hoping that it is easier to text on as a stand alone unit.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been contemplating a InReach Mini purchase as well, and the fact that you have to have a subscription to even use the GPS capabilities on the explorer makes that less appealing, for no other reason than why pay for functionality you can get on your phone for free?

Which GPS capabilities would you need a subscription for? I use mine as a GPS without a subscription often...

87TT

WKR
It is not for mapping and the gps is very rudimentary. I never use it for anything but emergency or maybe a text. I leave the tracking off except I sometimes turn it on for one track and then off to save the battery. My wife can ping it from home and see where I am as long as it's turned on even if not tracking. It counts as a message. messages in or out count as messages. the tracking uses more battery as it sends a signal every time it lays a track. Same with messaging, it uses more battery than just standby. I have a Garmin GPS for mapping. The Inreach was just acquired by Garmin. It used to be DeLorme.

87TT

WKR
I leave my reg not the mini on all day while I'm hunting. It lasts a few days that way if I don't text or use the tracking. I doesn't make sense to turn it on and off. What if you are unconscious or incapacitated? I want to be able to send the Mama Mama message without trying to turn it on. If I'm unconscious for a while and don't check in, (do every evening) then my wife can ping me and see where I am. This won't work if turned off.

bmf0713

WKR
I bought the SE about a month ago because of the price. Got mine for about $250 after tax and stuff. Think Costco has then even cheaper sometimes. I already have a garmin 64st and just wanted an inreach for the sos feature and texting. I was originally gonna get the mini but decided to save $100. The se also has a generic grid gps you can mark way points and stuff on.

OP
NorthIDHunter
Ended up getting the SE+ through Costco mostly due to the pricing. It worked for exactly what I wanted, and was nice peace of mind for my wife.

Jackson242

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Explorer+ all winter back country snowmobiling. It worked great for texting the wife but the mapping function isn't nearly as good as a true gps unit. I carried a Garmin etrex 35t all winter too. When weather was white out and we needed to get home the etrex lead the way. I recently sold the Explorer+ and picked up a mini. If you have another form of gps already save the $ and get the mini.

mtguy

FNG
personal choice between the mini and the plus. I would think having some backup navigation would outweigh the weight difference.