Garmin InReach money scam...

I recently had the exact opposite experience.

I knew it would auto renew and forgot to cancel it until I got the invoice (i'm a moron), quick email and they cancelled the service/refunded me. Which I would consider great customer support/service.

JohnnyB

WKR
I love the flexibility of being able to start and stop my plan. It does require that I take personal responsibility for my plan, but that is fine by me. I love my InReach and the link it gives me to my family and my business while in the backcountry.

Just a heads up, calling your experience a “money scam” is misleading at best. Opening forum accounts around the internet with one post to spread misinformation is either a clever ruse to promote satellite phones or an indicator of potentially Karenish behavior.

Reactions: dla

Rob5589

WKR
Activating and pausing the service was one of the easiest I have ever done online. Unfortunate that your experience wasn't as simple.

I suspended my subscription today. Very easy to do. I called customer service to make sure I had actually suspended. The representative was very professional and even credited my account for 7 days due to the AT&T issue that occurred a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've had great experience with the freedom plan. pause/start whenever just suspend when you get back home.

I think the auto renew is a feature...and probably a safety/security feature.
Lets say you are back in a ways for a couple weeks and your subscription runs out middle of the trip...well no way to get internet to pay and start it back up...so you then have no comms out

It is pretty simple to suspend it...2-3 minutes tops.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve actually had pretty good luck with Garmin customer service on this exact issue. First year, they gave me back my money after I forgot to cancel and saw the CC charge. Following year, stupid me did the same thing. They didn’t reimburse me this time, but they did give me credits, which I used to purchase my Freedom Plan this fall. And I already remembered to cancel it on time this week after getting home from Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cg_7

FNG
Just got a garmin, glad to see all the info about activating/ cancelling the plans. Looking forward to actually using it!

Opah

WKR
So are you going to be parting with some Garmin products? I would be interested in purchasing some.
I normally would not buy products that come from Nasty back talking, unhelpful , Scammers but if the price is right I'll take a chance that maybe the 99.9% of the rest of the customer service reps are kind helpful people that do their job well. so send me a list and cost and I'll take that Stuff off of your hands and then you'll have the money to rent the Satellite phone we all win !

Last edited:

tjthebest

FNG
I recently had the exact opposite experience.

I knew it would auto renew and forgot to cancel it until I got the invoice (i'm a moron), quick email and they cancelled the service/refunded me. Which I would consider great customer support/service.
Happened to me too.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
1: Not a scam. Libel does not make me inclined to trust the speaker.
2: You agreed to it.
3: It is grade school level to understand Garmin's plans.
4: Take responsibility for your side of the equation.
5: Try posting more than once to build some trust, only one post combined with libelous hyperbole makes me disinclined to try and understand your side of the story.

ShakeDown

WKR
No issue with subscription changes or the terms of use here. I simply create a calendar alert on my phone the day I need/want to change my subscription.

Now “charging“ me for AT&T messages that never went through was pretty Busch League. My wife sure was pissed not hearing from me for 5 days too.

brsnow

WKR
No issue with subscription changes or the terms of use here. I simply create a calendar alert on my phone the day I need/want to change my subscription.

Now “charging“ me for AT&T messages that never went through was pretty Busch League. My wife sure was pissed not hearing from me for 5 days too.

You can sign up for alerts that let know about any outages or service issues.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
While I generally agree that auto renewal subscriptions are irritating; if there was one service that I would rather have automatically renew vs. lose service due to non payment, it would be my SOS device....

Jimbob

WKR
I LOVE that I am responsible for my plan and no one else. I can opt-in and out whenever I want by going online. I would HATE if it opted out automatically.

Imagine leaving for a trip and you forgot to opt-in for your next month? SAFETY ISSUE.

For the op, I get a major entitlement vibe in your way of thinking. Instead of taking responsibility for your actions and you being in charge of your own affairs you blame the company for not doing it for you. I am a high school teacher and I see this mentality all the time.

"Mr. Horner hold on to this for me or I will lose it"
"I cannot remember to get this form signed. Just email my parents as a reminder"
"Mr. Horner, can I have a pencil? I don't know where mine is"

Keep track of your own affairs and don't blame it on someone else. Rant over

mikey1299

FNG
I have always like the way it was done. Hardest part for me is finding the right website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
after doing some math i just decided to leave mine on the cheap plan all year. i take it with me somewhere nearly every month and of course during seasonal trips it gets used a lot.

i cant justify changing plans for the few times i get charged a dollar or three extra.