Garmin inreach service issue?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I tried to send a message yesterday evening and the unit said it sent. Come home much later than anticipated to a VERY worried wife as she never received the message. When I woke up she said the message came through at 745am... ~13 hrs after I sent it.

Anyone else having delayed messages???

Same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon. First time I’ve ever used it to try and summon some help and it was delayed 10 hrs.

Worked fine before and after.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin had some issues with ransomware last week and I believe got it all worked out in the last day or two.

Rob5589

WKR
I resumed service on mine and as of yesterday, they were still reporting an outage within their system. The SOS feature was supposedly not affected.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
I talked to support today and found out a few things:
1. They have a notification system you can sign up for that sends emails anytime a service in interrupted.
2. You can sign up multiple emails for said system and select which systems you'd like to be notified about.
3. They have a service status website: https://status.inreach.garmin.com/

Looks like SMS/text is going down daily right now... BUT at least a loved one can check on their website and alleviate a small amount of worry if they have not heard from someone past an expected time.

I talked to support today and found out a few things:
1. They have a notification system you can sign up for that sends emails anytime a service in interrupted.
2. You can sign up multiple emails for said system and select which systems you'd like to be notified about.
3. They have a service status website: https://status.inreach.garmin.com/

Looks like SMS/text is going down daily right now... BUT at least a loved one can check on their website and alleviate a small amount of worry if they have not heard from someone past an expected time.

Thanks for sharing that. Didn’t realize they have one so specific. Just made a quick gmail to send presets to as a backup to SMS. I didn’t realize one might go down without the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
even when it is working normally,,, there is a 15-30 minute delay. the tech guy at garmin told me that it takes that long because the satelitte has to pass over head,,but that doens't make any sense to me cause how can the unit always know your position? which it does,

not sure if anyone has heard of the "golden hour" but if your text is delayed 15-30 minutes in the event of a heart attach or stroke,,,, do not anticipate making it.

i have the 66i,, which i more or less like,, for a rescue in the event of getting lost or a broken leg,,, sure it will work,,,,but for anything serious like i mentioned above,,,defintely not great.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
even when it is working normally,,, there is a 15-30 minute delay. the tech guy at garmin told me that it takes that long because the satelitte has to pass over head,,but that doens't make any sense to me cause how can the unit always know your position? which it does,

not sure if anyone has heard of the "golden hour" but if your text is delayed 15-30 minutes in the event of a heart attach or stroke,,,, do not anticipate making it.

i have the 66i,, which i more or less like,, for a rescue in the event of getting lost or a broken leg,,, sure it will work,,,,but for anything serious like i mentioned above,,,defintely not great.
I often have delays in messages too. I'm pretty sure gps uses different satellite than messaging, but I could be wrong. If you have a heart attack or stroke in the backcountry you are pretty likely to have permanent damage at very least by the time they get you to definitive care regardless of the 15-30 time frame. Backcountry extraction isn't nearly as fast as calling a bird to a motor vehicle wreck or to fly a MI to a level 1 cardiac center.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mine worked flawlessly this weekend to my knowledge. I was trading msg's back and forth at a couple minutes between kind of clip at one point.

That's disappointing to hear there were delays. At the start of the ransomware thing they maintained that InReach messaging was not impacted.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
The concept of "The Golden Hour" was coined for trauma care. For a stroke "time is brain". For blocked coronary arteries, the extent of heart muscle damage can be mitigated by prompt care. Hot tip: carry an regular aspirin in the backcountry to take in just such a blocked artery emergency- provided you don't have another reason not to.

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
Mine worked flawlessly this weekend to my knowledge. I was trading msg's back and forth at a couple minutes between kind of clip at one point.

That's disappointing to hear there were delays. At the start of the ransomware thing they maintained that InReach messaging was not impacted.
dang,, i've been using mine in the west for about a month now and it is always at least 15 minutes before it gets out

There are two separate satellite systems. GPS acquires position and Irridium sends messages. There are many more GPS satellites. I have noticed position, sky view and terrain can speed up messaging somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
@rockwind1

RE your highlighted text below.

Short answer is they are different satellite networks.

InReach uses the GPS satellite network to locate your position. GPS satellites do not receive data from civilian users like you, they only send a constant signal that your Garmin GPS combines with signals from many other GPS satellites to make multiple triangulations to determine your position/elevation.

For data- Garmin uses the ("Iridium") satellite network to send/receive data. Same network used for Iridium based Satellite Phones. Both you (and Garmin) have to wait for an Iridium satellite to pass over you for your Garmin InReach to either transmit or receive data.

Hope this helps.

JL

As a long time InReach (Delorme, Garmin) user, this is a pretty common occurrence. Lost a girlfriend one time because of "communication issues" related to the InReach, ha.

They are amazing devices, but certainly not infallible....

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to op check mine on monday and was pulling my hair out why it wouldn’t work. Appreciate the post and tried it again with no problems