Garmin Inreach

I am almost ready to buy one than I heard a couple of times that they are about to introduce a new improved model.Does anyone have inside info. on this?$450.00 is a lot of $$ I don't want something that's obsolete right away
Tim

There is a lot of information on it the new Garmin released one. Just use search function.

But to answer your question the Rokslide experts have said no new release.

With today’s technology I image Garmin will spend more R/D on new applications Etc then the device itself.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Tim,

i can't see the Garmin in reach Explorer being obsolete anytime soon. its features are true to exactly what we want it to do. id say buy with confidence.

The only thing I would like to see them add is the ability to accept the additional memory for maps. If I could put an OnX chip in mine it would be the end all be all communication and navigation device. But for now I still have to carry my phone or a simple gps for public land boundaries.

It certainly won’t be obsolete if you buy one now, but y ah they could make some revisions like that eventually that would lead to wanting to upgrade.

dotman

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about it, if they do add slight improvements it will not make the new model that much better. Plus even if you could add maps you’ll still want to bring your phone to actually communicate through the inreach.

FURMAN

WKR
If they would make it so it would except OnX maps that would be a big deal for me. I have not heard any plans though.

OP
T
I guess obsolete is overstated but I don't want to spend that much money a few months before they improve it

Im not sure it is worth buying the Garmin over the Delorme. The service is the same and you can find the Delorme for about 1/2 the price.

You will want to pair the InReach with your phone anyway for efficient texting, contacts, etc....so use the phone as the GPS with all the aerial photos, maps, etc.

I think the InReach (mine is the cheap yellow Garmin variety) is a great tool. Seems that the guides and pilots across northern BC and the NWT agree. All that I talked with prefered them to a Sat phone last fall.

OP
T
You will want to pair the InReach with your phone anyway for efficient texting, contacts, etc....so use the phone as the GPS with all the aerial photos, maps, etc.

I think the InReach (mine is the cheap yellow Garmin variety) is a great tool. Seems that the guides and pilots across northern BC and the NWT agree. All that I talked with prefered them to a Sat phone last fall.

I'm in the P N W we get rain for days on end.rain ,touch screens and smart phones don't work well together

colonel00

WKR
I carry my inReach primarily as a communication and emergency device. For this reason, I don't want to drain the batteries all the time. So, I'll pair it to my phone and use GPS apps on my phone or a stand alone GPS if necessary. For these reasons, I've been content with my inReach SE as I just haven't found a reason to upgrade yet. You'll have to decide how you intend to use the inReach and that will help guide you to which one to get or if you will be satisfied with the ones currently available.

JPD350

WKR
That is cool and exactly what I was wanting to see, now I just gotta come up with the funding for it!