Garmin Instinct GPS watch

muddydogs

WKR
How does the Earthmate app work with the Explore app? Will I end up with both apps on my phone and be switching back and forth between the 2 depending on if I'm using my phone for GPS or the watch? Not sure I understand whats going on here, I'm interested in the Instinct watch but don't want it to turn into a pain with 2 GPS programs.

From what I do understand the Explore app is a paired down version of the Earthmate app and it looks like tracks and way points from one app will be in the other app if there put into the right library folder when saved?

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does the Earthmate app work with the Explore app? Will I end up with both apps on my phone and be switching back and forth between the 2 depending on if I'm using my phone for GPS or the watch? Not sure I understand whats going on here, I'm interested in the Instinct watch but don't want it to turn into a pain with 2 GPS programs.

From what I do understand the Explore app is a paired down version of the Earthmate app and it looks like tracks and way points from one app will be in the other app if there put into the right library folder when saved?

The Earthmate app is for the inReach and the Explore app is for the Instinct watch. So the Earthmate app is not needed with this watch. The Explorer app can be used as a stand alone GPS on your phone just like the Earthmate, and it works the same as Earthmate. You would have both on your phone if you also have an inReach, but I don't think you'd have to switch back and forth that much. The waypoints I had saved in my Earthmate app with my inReach are also saved in my Explore app automatically. But you'll need to open the Explore app at times so it can sync with your watch to update waypoints taken on your watch or visa versa. If you were only using the Earthmate app as a GPS and not really with your inReach I would just start using the Explore app for that.

Hope that makes sense.

muddydogs

WKR
Yep it makes sense. I use the Earthmate app for GPS as well as the InReach, I have over 300 way points and tracks in earthmate but it sounds like these will be on both apps. My thinking is I would connect the InReach to the watch for InReach notification and let my phone do the GPS thing though it would be nice if I wanted to mark a way point quick with the watch it would also show up on Earthmate.

Will the same map files for the Earthmate app be used for the Explorer app? I've got about 10 gig's of map data on my phone already. Will the syncing between apps happen without WIFI or cell service?

Most of my crew have InReach units so we use them for a little communication throughout the day so InReach notifications would be great on the watch and I could have my phone unpaired from the inreach so I could use the better tracking of the phone gps when I want to lay down a track someplace.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Garmin is giving $50 off on these I saw in a couple places yesterday.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone have experience with using the Instinct with the inReach Mini *and* a phone, specifically with respect to battery life? I had made the decision (for weight reasons) to have all of my electronics be rechargeable (phone, headlamps, Mini - and now the Instinct), so now I'm wondering if my 10k mAh power bank is sufficient for 4 days. I know "it depends" on how much I use those items, but that's what I'm looking for - something like "I found that I rarely turned on the Mini because I relied on my watch, which still ran for 2 days with constant tracking and bluetooth connectivity". I will, however, be using my Mini periodically for text capabilities and have no idea about the drain it takes, and places on the phone. Thanks in advance!

twall13

WKR
No experience with the mini but while turkey hunting last month I constantly had the instinct tracking all day long (not the battery saving mode) and can say that if you are using it like that it needs to be charged daily. I did find myself using the watch for a quick reference track back a few times rather than pulling out my phone and Onx.

That said, it's a tiny battery that charges in less than 30 minutes so I can't see the watch adding much additional drain to your battery pack. Maybe not exactly the info. you were looking for but hopefully it's another bit of data to help you figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
No experience with the mini but while turkey hunting last month I constantly had the instinct tracking all day long (not the battery saving mode) and can say that if you are using it like that it needs to be charged daily. I did find myself using the watch for a quick reference track back a few times rather than pulling out my phone and Onx.

That said, it's a tiny battery that charges in less than 30 minutes so I can't see the watch adding much additional drain to your battery pack. Maybe not exactly the info. you were looking for but hopefully it's another bit of data to help you figure it out.

That is *very* helpful. Did you happen to recharge using a battery pack with a trickle charge feature?

twall13

WKR
I recharged with a battery pack but no trickle charger feature. It's an anchor battery pack that I've had for a couple of years now.

muddydogs

WKR
Well I ordered the Instinct watch from S&S last night. S&S being in Boise and me in Ogden I should have it today or tomorrow right, it's only a 5 hour haul. Funny how a guy can look at an item for 3 or 4 days before deciding to order then wants it in his hands right now.

Maybe I'll get lucky and see it Saturday if not I guess I have something to look forward to the end of next week when I get back to town from a work trip. Ya of course I will be looking forward to seeing the wife as well.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I ordered the Instinct watch from S&S last night. S&S being in Boise and me in Ogden I should have it today or tomorrow right, it's only a 5 hour haul. Funny how a guy can look at an item for 3 or 4 days before deciding to order then wants it in his hands right now.

Maybe I'll get lucky and see it Saturday if not I guess I have something to look forward to the end of next week when I get back to town from a work trip. Ya of course I will be looking forward to seeing the wife as well.
I ordered mine on Monday and had it (in Atlanta) on Wednesday!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
Amazon has them for $250 and S&S Archery has them for $225 with rokslide code.
I wonder if these things aren't selling as well as Garmin would have liked. I thought $300 was a pretty good price point for what you get. I wish I paid $225 for mine though. I paid $160 for a vivofit HR+ a few years ago and that didn't do a third of the things the Instinct is capable of.

boom

WKR
this is the biggest thread about this watch. so i will post here.

i've been wearing this watch for several months. my findings.

its is super easy to use. i have been using it for my mountain bike rides (hunt training) and it is awesome. i now know my heart-rate, and how far i go. all my usual rides are much longer than i expected. and i climb higher too! i pause at this lake to drink water from my bottle and enjoy the peace. the lululemon wearing lady joggers are pretty inspirational as well. anyways, i hit pause on the watch. again easy. i wish it self-paused when it noticed i have stopped but no. i have to physically hit a button. no big deal, except i always forget to hit "resume".

my training hikes. AWESOME. i don't track my trail, but i use it to follow my stats. steps, elevation, etc. i did a 10 mile weighted hike and it was nice to know what i was doing going up and down valleys.

battery life is okay. i once accidentally put it on "hike" and was driving my truck. i saw the battery deplete before my eyes. just using it daily, i charge weekly. more if i exercise more. i suffer from "Charge Anxiety" hehe. i probably could go longer.

here is what i dislike. the buttons are easy to push. good? no! i inadvertently push a button all the time. like reaching in to pull my dipstick can accidentally put my watch in hike-mode. its funny when i look down and my watch is in some mode i didn't ask for. i wish the buttons required more force or something. and the wrist strap is fussy for me. i cant get it to the same hole repeatedly. i will have to adjust. sometimes too loose, sometimes too tight. its fairly stretchy.

all in all, i like it. stylish. (i got the all black one). durable. i do construction engineering. my watches suffer. i took it off and put it in my pocket when i had to check the contractors concrete mix, but other than that, it is on my wrist all the time. no scratches. i dont have the face shield either.

oh, one feature i unexpectedly LOVE. i love how i paired it with my iphone. now at home, or office i can leave my phone on the desk and if someone calls or text, i know about it cuz the watch just buzzed on my wrist. the text is too tiny to read, but i know i have one waiting for me at my phone. ( i wear reading glasses :( )

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is the biggest thread about this watch. so i will post here.

i've been wearing this watch for several months. my findings.

its is super easy to use. i have been using it for my mountain bike rides (hunt training) and it is awesome. i now know my heart-rate, and how far i go. all my usual rides are much longer than i expected. and i climb higher too! i pause at this lake to drink water from my bottle and enjoy the peace. the lululemon wearing lady joggers are pretty inspirational as well. anyways, i hit pause on the watch. again easy. i wish it self-paused when it noticed i have stopped but no. i have to physically hit a button. no big deal, except i always forget to hit "resume".

my training hikes. AWESOME. i don't track my trail, but i use it to follow my stats. steps, elevation, etc. i did a 10 mile weighted hike and it was nice to know what i was doing going up and down valleys.

battery life is okay. i once accidentally put it on "hike" and was driving my truck. i saw the battery deplete before my eyes. just using it daily, i charge weekly. more if i exercise more. i suffer from "Charge Anxiety" hehe. i probably could go longer.

here is what i dislike. the buttons are easy to push. good? no! i inadvertently push a button all the time. like reaching in to pull my dipstick can accidentally put my watch in hike-mode. its funny when i look down and my watch is in some mode i didn't ask for. i wish the buttons required more force or something. and the wrist strap is fussy for me. i cant get it to the same hole repeatedly. i will have to adjust. sometimes too loose, sometimes too tight. its fairly stretchy.

all in all, i like it. stylish. (i got the all black one). durable. i do construction engineering. my watches suffer. i took it off and put it in my pocket when i had to check the contractors concrete mix, but other than that, it is on my wrist all the time. no scratches. i dont have the face shield either.

oh, one feature i unexpectedly LOVE. i love how i paired it with my iphone. now at home, or office i can leave my phone on the desk and if someone calls or text, i know about it cuz the watch just buzzed on my wrist. the text is too tiny to read, but i know i have one waiting for me at my phone. ( i wear reading glasses :( )

In regards to the buttons being easy to push, I came across the same, you can lock them. So in the custom buttons settings I set the left lowest one so when I hold for a few seconds it locks all buttons. Been working awesome for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I occasionally hit a button by accident but never enough to make me want to lock the buttons.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk