Garmin Montana 700i

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
Got my 700i in today and I’ll say this thing is built like a tank. It’s very fast for a gps unit. Acts much better then the older units. The touch screen feels about like a iPhone. Can’t wait to try it out this season. Love the bigger screen. And the QWERTY keyboard. I should be able to leave my phone in my pocket and not have to pair them any more and just use this as a All in one with the Inreach. Great job Garmin. CADF20E6-F85F-433B-84A0-9EEA4C28C608.jpeg53190AC5-96C8-4865-974B-381FFDDC1619.jpeg

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Keep us posted with your thoughts as you use it more. Glad to hear the touchscreen works well, was a little worried about that given the touchscreen on my Garmin Alpha is pretty crappy.

CO-AJ

WKR
I too am interested in this device. I have an old eTREX which works, but it doesn't have topo maps, is a very small screen, no color, no SOS/inReach functions. I have been thinking about the GPSMAP 66i or the Montana 700i. There is 100.00 difference between the two. The touch screen functionality and durability as well as the size of the Montana vs the GPSMAP are what is holding me back.

OP
gibbons025

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I had the 66i and it was a very nice unit. But I wanted to get the Montana 700i because of the touch screen and I could just skip having to pair my iPhone to type messages. I have the Garmin Huntview chip for Colorado and it works just like it should. But I would think the OnX chip would work as well. I have found the unit to very responsive to my touch. Better then what I was hoping for. The screen is very bright compared to my other Garmin units. Being able to take the battery out and replace it with another is a nice feature.

The menu looks nearly identical to the 66i. How would you compare the map display resolution quality compared to the 66i, or say to Google maps on a smartphone?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine yesterday. Really nice. I actually like the larger size for a guy who otherwise needs reading glasses. It came with free access to Birdseye. It directly downloads the air photos using WiFi without using Basecamp. I assume its only a years subscription. I didnt see anywhere that even mentions the free birdseye. My Onx Colorado chip works fine.

parshal

WKR
Which one do you have? Onyx Colorado does not work in my 750i.

Also, the Garmin Hunt View Plus chip really slows down the screen.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 66i last season and returned it. I thought it was pretty terrible actually, but maybe I just wasn't working all the features. About all I would be using it for is breadcrumb trails for tracking how to get back to a location or camp at night. For what it cost, I thought it wasn't worth that. I also found it difficult to get topo maps from the basemap app on my computer to the unit. And I did not see an easy way to get my Gaia or Onx kmls onto it, which is where I have all my info saved and would need in the field.

Hopefully I just wasn't doing something right and I can figure it out eventually because I see the value in having a backup unit to my cell phone in case that craps out in cold weather. These units just don't seem to have the functionality of the cell phone, and they are awfully expensive for a backup option.

Rail505

FNG
I got the 66i last season and returned it. I thought it was pretty terrible actually, but maybe I just wasn't working all the features. About all I would be using it for is breadcrumb trails for tracking how to get back to a location or camp at night. For what it cost, I thought it wasn't worth that. I also found it difficult to get topo maps from the basemap app on my computer to the unit. And I did not see an easy way to get my Gaia or Onx kmls onto it, which is where I have all my info saved and would need in the field.

Hopefully I just wasn't doing something right and I can figure it out eventually because I see the value in having a backup unit to my cell phone in case that craps out in cold weather. These units just don't seem to have the functionality of the cell phone, and they are awfully expensive for a backup option.
Are you able to compare the 66 to the 62? Wondering if i should upgrade.

Rail505

FNG
That thing looks the size of a brick! But i didnt think about not having to bring phone along with it so it it one less thing to have to lug around.
Sorry, I am not familiar with the 62 so can't compare it.
right on. Was the menu and interface clunky to get around? Say when using the bread crumbs or setting a waypoint where your truck is and trying to get back to it a week later?

PredatorX

WKR
The 700i did not work for me. Just too dang big and clunky. Resolution was nowhere near my phone. The 66i coombined with onyx and my phone is a better combo for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
The 700i did not work for me. Just too dang big and clunky. Resolution was nowhere near my phone. The 66i coombined with onyx and my phone is a better combo for me.

Yup! Might as well use your $1000 phones high end screen paired to a cheaper model inreach unit imo.

Last edited:

BCsteve

WKR

That was going to be my question, how’s the resolution with sat photographs?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the resolution was very good. Better yet the brightness during bright sunlight was far superior to my phone. My two hunting partners were running around looking for shade trees to see their contours and photos with onyx on their phones. I had no issues in the glaring sun. To be fair i have a $200 smartphone not a $1000 one, but one of the other guys had an expensive variety.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
where are you guys purchasing these? i'm looking for a 750i and everything i see continues to say 5-8 weeks. i've been looking since Aug.