Garmin Montana 700i

khunter1

FNG
Hello,

I've searched through some of the earlier threads on this GPS unit and hoping to find out some more info from guys who have one and have been using it for awhile now. I have cheaper units that work flawlessly, and honestly use my phone and OnX for 90% of the time however, I'm looking to upgrade and have an all in one unit now for peace of mind.

Guys who have the unit, how is it doing for you? I'll primarily use this for hunting trips and I'm especially interested in the messaging features to stay in contact with my wife and kids back home while in the mountains. Also, I understand this won't be a smart phone, but how is the overall speed, topos etc on it? I just hate to spend $700 if there is something that is going to work better for me but I have no issue spending that if this is going to be a reliable unit.

My phone and OnX works great but in my mind, I still can't communicate with home with no service. The inreach mini would allow that, but I don't know that I can always trust Bluetooth connections etc, Also if I were to fall and break my phone somehow then I'm out my keyboard, so just thinking the all in one unit would be a good emergency backup to everything I'm using. As long as it functions well!

Thanks in advance for any info!

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
If you you really want one there is one in the classifieds right now.

I have an earlier unit, 600 I think. Take it on car camping trips otherwise I use my phone and base maps along with a garmin etrex as a backup( very small unit) . The Montana I have is too big and bulky and I’m usually carrying my phone anyway for pics and listing to audiobooks at night. I’m talking about backpacking now where weight and space is an issue.

MM

OP
K

khunter1

FNG
If you you really want one there is one in the classifieds right now.

I have an earlier unit, 600 I think. Take it on car camping trips otherwise I use my phone and base maps along with a garmin etrex as a backup( very small unit) . The Montana I have is too big and bulky and I’m usually carrying my phone anyway for pics and listing to audiobooks at night. I’m talking about backpacking now where weight and space is an issue.

MM
Thanks, I did see the one on the classifieds and have been thinking heavily on it. My registration is new on here as well so I haven't gotten to the level of being able to message or respond on the classifieds yet unfortunately.

It definitely looks to be a jumbo sized unit, and I honestly would primarily be using my phone as well and the Garmin would be for my messaging etc with the backup of a large map if needed. I go back and forth between the cost and features of that and the gpsmap 66i and just using the garmin app for typing out my messages etc