Garmin Montana 750i

RoJo

WKR
So, I went waaaaaaay out on a limb and ordered a Montana 750i (with camera and InReach) from Garmin last night. It is so new it apparently isn't available anywhere else yet, and Garmin posted the first videos about it just yesterday. I expect this unit to replace every other electronic device I carry, including my cell phone (and any apps like OnX, or in my case GaiaGPS, so I will not be renewing that subscription), InReach (this unit will replace my current InReach on the existing subscription), dedicated handheld GPS (which I have still been carrying and using), and dedicated camera (which I pretty much stopped carrying anyway).

I know this unit won't be on most people's must have list, but it seems like it will be a good fit for me. I'm not sure when it will arrive, but I'll try to post something of a review when I've had a chance to use it.

I bought a 66i in lieu of the 700i. My main concern was the battery life is nearly half that compared to the 66i.

Any concerns about battery life? Carry amp packs or a sunlight charger would eliminate that concern however, that’s another piece of equipment one has to carry.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
BATTERY LIFEGPS Mode: up to 18 hours
GPS Mode, 10 min Tracking: up to 18 hours
Expedition Mode: up to 330 hours
Expedition Mode, 30 min Tracking: up to 300 hours

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
It's great to see Garmin FINALLY get with the times and refresh their lineup with something new that actually has the features to replace many devices, instead of just the same old same old in a body that looks a little different.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I got my 700i in on Monday and have been using it every day since to make sure it’s working good. It’s huge I mean when they said it’s built like a tank it really is. But for me I kinda like the larger size. The bigger screen is a lot brighter for me compared to my 66i. But the size of the screen helps that. It’s a fast unit. The responsiveness is impressive , tons better then all my older Garmins. I have the Garmin Colorado Huntview Chip and the Birdseye detail is a lot better on this unit because of the larger screen. I’m happy so far with this purchase.

I just ordered one but it's not in stock yet at my supplier. What is the best hunting app to use with these?

How would you compare the screen resolution of the birdseye on the 750 to your average smartphone and Google maps?
I got my 700i in on Monday and have been using it every day since to make sure it’s working good. It’s huge I mean when they said it’s built like a tank it really is. But for me I kinda like the larger size. The bigger screen is a lot brighter for me compared to my 66i. But the size of the screen helps that. It’s a fast unit. The responsiveness is impressive , tons better then all my older Garmins. I have the Garmin Colorado Huntview Chip and the Birdseye detail is a lot better on this unit because of the larger screen. I’m happy so far with this purchase.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Sadly, I only just today got shipment confirmation from Garmin. I had to call their support to learn that another item on the order is back-ordered and that they were holding up THE ENTIRE ORDER until it was back in stock in Sep! I don't understand why their order status page doesn't provide that kind of info.

Anywho, the nice lady pulled the other item off the order and I got the shipment confirmation email not long after that. I am pretty disappointed in all that, but glad that I should get the 750i by Monday.

parshal

WKR
My 750i shipped today so I'm hoping to see it on Monday, too.

I, too, had an order snafu. I ordered mine on Saturday. On Monday I get an email saying my order had been cancelled because a lithium battery couldn't be shipped via air. I never chose shipping other than the 'free' option. After an hour on hold I find that the spare battery can only be shipped via ground but a battery attached to the unit can be sent by air. For my trouble, they gave me the battery for free which already showed up yesterday. Why they didn't just change the shipping to ground rather than cancelling is beyond me.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
I am debating whether to buy a spare battery. I wonder what the weight difference is between a spare 750i battery, and something like an Anker 10000mAh power bank, and how many recharges I could get out of the Anker.