Garmin releases the Messenger

Gone4Days

WKR
Why wouldn’t Garmin make the monthly plans more competitive? I get 250 messages per month with my Zoleo $34.95 plan. The same plan with Garmin ($34.95) you only get 40 messages a month and that includes weather updates count as a message. So basically you can average under 2 messages a day for same price.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
has roughly three times the battery life as the Zoleo and double the inReach Mini 2

has a visual display (Zoleo doesn't), little lighter than the Zoleo, show incoming messages, can reverse charge a phone and a few more little bits

sram9102

WKR
Group messages is a big upgrade from the inreach explorer. Is the app new? Earthmate has given me troubles a few times. Just a simple texting app would be great. I don't need a second lesser mapping service on my phone.

BBob

WKR
Group messages is a big upgrade from the inreach explorer. Is the app new?
It looks like it’s slated to get its own app. I don’t see it in the store yet though.

Reverse charging so if your phone is about dead you can charge from the inReach.
7740C057-ADA4-4C24-8D70-4566B1EB027D.jpeg

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
Dang. I really like Garmin… and I would look to switch from my Zoleo to this if the pricing was more competitive. I got my Zoleo for $150 and my plan has way more messages per month. So close Garmin…. so close.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Dang. I really like Garmin… and I would look to switch from my Zoleo to this if the pricing was more competitive. I got my Zoleo for $150 and my plan has way more messages per month. So close Garmin…. so close.
Do you use all those messages every month?

Zoleo's fixed phone number and use of best available network (WiFi > cellular > satallite) are the two features I find most attractive. However, as I rarely use all my messages (presets are free and cover 80% of my needs) and I like to keep my service active year round, Garmin is significantly cheaper at $11.95 per month. One or two months a year I will pay about $30 because of sending a lot of messages and requesting frequent weather reports.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
The battery life is cool and I think group messaging could save a little $. Do most of you leave your inreach on while hunting? I have been on a couple of 14+ day hunts and never had to charge my inreach. I only turn it on a couple times a day tho to send messages and check them.

CoStick

WKR
I use the $11.95/month all year, every once in awhile I go over my message limit and pay a little extra- that plan has worked great for me for the last three years
I do the same. Most I evr paid was like $35 total with overages that had a couple week trip in the back country. Use it weekly for the most past here in CO and on scuba trips

Gone4Days

WKR
Do you use all those messages every month?

Zoleo's fixed phone number and use of best available network (WiFi > cellular > satallite) are the two features I find most attractive. However, as I rarely use all my messages (presets are free and cover 80% of my needs) and I like to keep my service active year round, Garmin is significantly cheaper at $11.95 per month. One or two months a year I will pay about $30 because of sending a lot of messages and requesting frequent weather reports.
I use more than 40 for sure. That’s incoming and outgoing. The whole point of having one of these is to text back and forth with my family for a week in the mountains. 40 won’t cut it at that same price. I would have to step up to unlimited. When it’s off season I suspend my Zoleo for $4/mo

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The battery life is cool and I think group messaging could save a little $. Do most of you leave your inreach on while hunting? I have been on a couple of 14+ day hunts and never had to charge my inreach. I only turn it on a couple times a day tho to send messages and check them.

I used to leave mine off (unless I was tracking) but after ready the aftermath of a gal that was lost in the Beartooths, I leave mine on. She had an inReach, but only turned it on when sending messages to her Mom. Had she left it on, they could have pinged her device- she was sadly killed in a rock slide, but if she hand been alive they could have found her.

Leaving my Mini on (and not tracking) doesn't use much battery life at all.