Garmin releases the Messenger

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, I really need to replace my POS Zoleo. Hasn't worked since I bought it. I still carry it in hopes the SOS will work if needed.
The follow-me and location share seldom if ever works. The thing disconnects from my phone all the time.
As a 61 year old solo hunter who hunts the mountains and prairies if WY almost every day of the seasons I need something dependable.
I don't really know why I still spend $41 a month for the garbage.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone seen an update on when the new Messenger app will support the Mini 2? Also, looks like the original Mini is not on the list of supported devices?

mtnkid85

WKR
Has anyone seen an update on when the new Messenger app will support the Mini 2? Also, looks like the original Mini is not on the list of supported devices?
I just got a mini 2 and it made me download a new app. It seems to be basically the same as earth mate but now its called Garmin explore.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a mini 2 and it made me download a new app. It seems to be basically the same as earth mate but now its called Garmin explore.
The new app I'm talking about is just called "Messenger" I downloaded it in the App Store. It doesn't pair with the Mini 2 right now, just the InReach Messenger. The Explore app does. The advantages of the Messenger app is that it will working over WiFi, LTE, or satellite and you can do group messaging.

Garmin does a poor job with the device and app naming. Almost as confusing as their billing plans.

Dang. I really like Garmin… and I would look to switch from my Zoleo to this if the pricing was more competitive. I got my Zoleo for $150 and my plan has way more messages per month. So close Garmin…. so close.
Give it time. The new iPhones are dabbling in satellite communication and SOS. I don’t think it will replace these other communicators because people will want redundancy, however, it is going to massively squeeze the market and force lower prices (I hope).

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone know if a Garmin subscription can be used with more than one device, or do you need a subscription for each?

Does anyone know if a Garmin subscription can be used with more than one device, or do you need a subscription for each?
I'm not sure, but I think you can only have 1 device active on the subscription at one time. I think the author on that dcrainmaker link mentioned something about it in the comments.

BBob

WKR
You can but not simultaneously with your devices, it's one active at a time. It's the typical Garmin kluge to swap back and forth but not that hard once you've done it a time or two and document the steps to do it. I do believe if you have a professional account you can have a bunch of active devices at the same time.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not sure, but I think you can only have 1 device active on the subscription at one time. I think the author on that dcrainmaker link mentioned something about it in the comments.
That’s what I expected. I was thinking of redundancy with my inReach Mini and this Messenger. But if I can’t be sure both would work, I’d want to have 2 accounts.

BBob

WKR
That’s what I expected. I was thinking of redundancy with my inReach Mini and this Messenger. But if I can’t be sure both would work, I’d want to have 2 accounts.
It definitely works. I've had 3 different devices at one time on one account and could switch them at will. I'd say it takes 3-5 minutes to do if you're familiar with it and do it often enough so you don't forget the steps. Garmin does have a tutorial or two that I used when I did it the first time.

It sounds like no one actually used the onscreen map on the mini anyway and most hunters use their phone for navigation. I guess it would be nice, but I wouldn't want to actually use a map on a 2" screen. It does still have the trackback thing on the screen , just not as a map

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
It definitely works. I've had 3 different devices at one time on one account and could switch them at will. I'd say it takes 3-5 minutes to do if you're familiar with it and do it often enough so you don't forget the steps. Garmin does have a tutorial or two that I used when I did it the first time.
Can you switch from the field, or only from a desktop?

BBob

WKR
Can you switch from the field, or only from a desktop?
You can’t swap devices directly without access to your online account. So if you have web access in the field you could do it on your phone but if you don’t then no. You don’t need to plug in any of your devices to a computer to swap but you do have to log in, deactivate the active device and then activate another of your listed devices. You can add a number of devices to your account but only one is active. It’s been awhile so I don’t remember the actual terminology they use when activating and deactivating but in typical Garmin fashion it can be slightly confusing.

Last edited:

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still sticking to my zoleo. Can’t beat it i just clip it to my reckoning and forget about it. Spent three weeks in the mountains and never had a issue sending or receiving messages. I send a lot to my buddy so the price is worth it to me then just suspend for $4 a month and keep the same phone number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is. Due to the complete lack of mounting options for this new device, I made my own. I'm not using my exo lid during my hunt, so I can't put it in the small zip pocket on top. I'd like easier access anyway.

My older boy who kinda likes sewing has been sick, so I couldn't get him to sew a pouch for me. My wife is helping me make some stream crossing gaiters to keep my feet dry, so I took it upon myself to rig this up.

Free retractable clipping lanyard from work, painted to remove the plastic chrome shine.

Self stick Velcro wrap on the shoulder strap.

Adhesive Velcro on the tracker bottom.

Mounted on the shoulder to orient straight up, mostly. I think it will work well. I wasn't psyched about putting super adhesive on the back of the tracker, but I can probably get it off with something if need be.

IMG_20221004_215450701.jpgIMG_20221004_215543796.jpgIMG_20221004_215734049.jpg

After playing with it for a few days, I think it will be light-years ahead of my SpotX.

The messenger app seems to function perfectly. I haven't encountered any bugs.

Messages seem to send very quickly (in the city). One gripe I have is that there doesn't seem to be a a quick confirmation on the tracker screen that a message has successfully sent. Unless, it is the up/down arrows in the corner. That disappear. Either this is for the message check, which is does any time you send a message, or you can do it manually, or it is for that and the message sent confirmation. But when looking at a sent message details screen, the time sent seems to be before the arrows disappear on the main screen. Anyway, this is probably something I'll figure out because the manual does not have much detail on all of the functionality.

There is no mapping or navigation capabilities with this tracker. It does have the trackback feature, but I believe it is only a compass and distance icon on the tracker screen. I'm not sure if it shows up in the app. I haven't played with the trackback feature much at all.

The tracker screen and button functions are easy to use. Yes it would be a pain to send messages from it, but with 20 possible pre-entered quick texts it wouldn't be to bad.

There is a quick menu using the OK button on the tracker. You can send a check in, start tracking, do an message incoming check, and view coordinates from this quick menu.
With 4 clicks of the OK button, you can send a check in.

Changing settings on the tracker is straightforward and quick.

You can change all settings on the tracker from the app. Add contacts. Initiate sos. Message, weather, start tracking. There's a few different options for who/where to share your tracks with on the app.

Updating the software (and firmware too I'm pretty sure) is done with a software update either through Garmin explore or the app. It's very easy on the app and fairly quick.

I plan to only have the Bluetooth on the tracker and my phone turned on when I want to send a message other than a check in, to save battery life. I'll likely have it set to 30min tracking and send 3ish check-ins a day and maybe a couple of messages. I'll be in a mix of forest and open terrain in the mountains, around 10-11k feet, and likely not in a tight canyon where the walls prohibit signal much. Hopefully, I'll get through 10 days without charging.

z987k

WKR
I disagree. The "whole point" of the device is to send messages in an emergency. You can also use it to send 40 texts a day to people if you are unable to disconnect when you are hunting.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
It's more than that. I use it for wx reports when flying in the back country. I run through over 100 messages a month spring through fall.
But no, you probably shouldn't be having conversations with people like you do via sms.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Once someone uses this in the field for a week long + trip, please report back! Just purchased a mini at costco a few weeks ago and its still in the box. I'm considering returning and getting the messenger. i will NOT be using it for navigation (use my phone), so messenger seems like a good fit.