Garmin "sight and go" feature

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
This is the only reason I still carry my old gps. Does Gaia or any other map apps have the same version of this? I know on x does not, curious about any of the others.

For anyone who doesn't know the Garmin feature allows you to type in the distance you want to go then you point it to lock the direction and go. It keeps you locked on that direction and let's you know the distance as you work your way there. It's great for archery stalking a bedded buck or getting you to a downed animal from across a canyon.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty sure my Garmin Fenix 6X does this. You can “project waypoint” by pointing the direction and telling it distance, then you could navigate to that waypoint.

OP
C

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Somebody needs to get in somebodys ear at onx or gaia and make them get on this!

Erict

WKR
Easily done using Gaia if I understand you right:

In a "typical" situation, you would click to center yourself on the map, then hold down on the map the point you want to go to. A blue dot appears with the Distance and Bearing (ie - "468 ft., 334° NE from me". Press the pencil icon next to the dot and make it a Waypoint, then Save. You can now travel to the waypoint.

Alternatively, I guess one could use a rangefinder to get the distance, then a compass to get the bearing. In Gaia, center yourself on the map, then hold down on the map in the approx. area of your destination. Drag the blue dot around until it's where you need distance/bearing and save the waypoint.

I suppose it would be a good idea to "mark" your "start" point if it's a considerable distance so when you get near your destination you can "look back" if needed.

Good luck!

OP
C

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Erict, i know i can do something similar with onx. I think im gonna try gaia out and see if its any easier. Seems like gaia is really giving onx a run for its $$ these days.

dtrkyman

WKR
I would just save a waypoint where I was headed and use the go to waypoint option, not what you are trying to do? Shows a line and distance, I am referring to ONX.