Garmin Xero A1 sight - thoughts if worth it?

The terrifing part is when you range your black archery target from a known metal taped range and it gives you something different. Then you put a mule deer cape over the target and range again to get another range.

Made me realize you should speed out your dope the best ways possible when ever possible. Ha and not trust a leupold rangefinder. Maybe the garmin is better.

Black is hard on rangefinders.

Good thing I only shoot color phase black bear.

So I bought one someone had a good price for. Playing with it I found the following:
- It has the 3rd axis, it's just a little different to set up. At least mine was lined up when I did the full draw angle down aim at a straight line test (forget the name, but I have the special little level).
- It ranges pretty good out to 100 yards for me. I have been testing with my Vortex rangefinder and comparing. They are both the same, even on angled shots.
- The freezing issue was fixed with a software update (you get free updates)
- I get the max range thing, but you can move the pins to get more range. However, that idea is dumb and a flaw, so I would agree you're pretty maxed out to a certain point. But I want to range out to 60 max anyways, I'm not shooting past that (my choice).

I don't know why you'd use one of these for 3D, just range and then shoot. I got this site because I often don't have time to range then put it down and then raise and shoot. I suck at ranging by guessing the yardage. I've missed two deer trying. I have my other site for non-hunting shooting. I'll just throw this thing on in late august to start practicing in time for October archery.

The biggest downside, in my opinion, is now I'm 'that guy' with a giant piece of tech on my bow. But leave your range finders at home if you think you're better than me. I envy no man now! :p

I agree with most of what you say on the ranging, just wonder if you ever spent time ranging things from your stand as soon as you got in? I always shoot ranges to things as soon as possible. I also frequent some of the same spots so it makes it a lot easier. I know that a certain tree, rock, weed, or stump is a certain yardage. I can then add subtract 7-8 yards pretty easy.

That's from hunting before rangefinders tho. I use to have some stands that I had flags in the field edge so I knew the yards. All I could do was step it off from the base of the tree. That was of course before I knew anything about cut charts, we just shot for flat yards. I had a better memory then too. I could remember different trees around me were different yards, now I have trouble remembering my pins....

OP
540-Virginian
I agree with most of what you say on the ranging, just wonder if you ever spent time ranging things from your stand as soon as you got in? I always shoot ranges to things as soon as possible. I also frequent some of the same spots so it makes it a lot easier. I know that a certain tree, rock, weed, or stump is a certain yardage. I can then add subtract 7-8 yards pretty easy.

That's from hunting before rangefinders tho. I use to have some stands that I had flags in the field edge so I knew the yards. All I could do was step it off from the base of the tree. That was of course before I knew anything about cut charts, we just shot for flat yards. I had a better memory then too. I could remember different trees around me were different yards, now I have trouble remembering my pins....

When I was in the stand, yes I would range stuff and commit to memory this tree is 30 etc.. But unfortunately, only had two spikes come in range last year that I passed up. Never had a deer from a stand as I still hunt 90% of the time (which is why this sight interested me).

I've gotten two does with a bow still hunting, missed a nice 8-point (thought he was 35, he was 20 when I ranged where he was after). The does I was able to range as they were bedded, I ranged at 40 and counted my steps when I snuck into 20 yards. I took that strategy after missing the big buck, but I don't want to miss again haha!

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I love this "never read the instructions." No bashing you, I have two friends who hated this sight and said it was a PITA to set up. I did it in 20 mins, and I'm no engineer! Just read the damn instructions and they have a good youtube video to help.

Of all my garmin products, this was the easiest to setup; which blew me away. The training department for this wasn't the GPS crew. lol.
I never dumped it because of the instructions it was guys j know. I set it t up in about 30 mins as well.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
What I'd like to see is the Garmin form for the sight/ranging abilities with the sure sight v6 longer range/angle compensation and leupolds ballistic info from the full draw 4. I've franken bowed a few bows together, surely this can't be much more difficult ;)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eltaco

WKR
How certain can you be that you are actually ranging your target at 50+ yards? I frequently bounce a minimum of 3 readings off of my target with a rangefinder, just to be certain, sometimes another object that I think is five or ten yards different. I heard these things take a while to return a response, likely making it hard to hit things several times to be certain.

I’ve been shooting with mine since they released and I’m more confident ranging with A1i than handholding a rangefinder. My bow is more stable at full draw, and I can easily paint a target at 100yds with the sight mounted rangefinder. The range time is always updating while you’re holding the trigger down, so it’s quite instantaneous to get a pin once you release the range button.

As long as you can hold a pin on the target, you’ll get an accurate return range.

I suppose the opposite is worth saying. If you can’t hold a pin on the target to get a range, that’s a sure sign the distance is too far or your hold in that moment isn’t good enough to make an ethical shot.

Last edited:

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with above posts: Battery life not an issue; just change batteries once a year.

Ranging, if you use it a bit and practice ranging throough brush and around objects, you become pretty good at ranging it very precisely.

Cold weather? I cannot say.

Setup? Key thing is to set up the reticle accurately, at the outset (not just close, but right on the button), and after that the rest of the setup is very straightforward.

My only beef with it is 1) it is heavy, and 2) in my opinion it is lightly built with undersized screws and such. Garmin would be smart to strengthen the mounting bracket. Said another way, it’s no Spott Hogg.

1Arrow

FNG
I have a Xpedition X33 29.5" @60# with Victory Xtorsion 350 arrows. I can really only push my Garmin to 60yds before I run out of room on the sight. Starting pin is set to 20yds.

I used the A1 for 2 seasons and ended up selling it at the end of last year. I had multiple experiences where I felt like I would sight it or calibrate the sight but then it would be slightly off when I went to shoot the next time. I’m very curious to hear if anyone has had this same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Arrow

FNG
Update on my setup: I replaced the string back to factory, changed the rest, loop, and kisser, with new peep. Paper tuned perfectly again and now I am pushing past 70yds with the same arrow set up. (Victory Xtorsion 350)

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like Garmin just released the pro version that has a lot more features. Better mounting options (picatinny rail, dove tail), ability to lower the scope housing to shoot further/etc. Liking what i am seeing but it is coming in at a hefty 18oz think I saw and a 1700cdn price tag.

xtra distance setting: I like that they did this, which lets those of use who like shooting out further to do so. they did this by allowing you to lower the scope so many clicks which you put into the software and it adjusts your stack up and gives you the ability to reach out further. basically they created a slider laser range finding sight. glad they did this but you need to remember how many clicks you lowered so you can reset it back into the scope to keep your pins where you want them. i see this as being very slow to do in the field, although i haven't played with one yet. Would have liked them to set it up on something like the axcel system where you can have detents on the rail to get the adjustments for it so you could just push the button, drop it to the second setting and your stack is adjusted automatically, versus remembering the amount of clicks.

flight path: they copied this off of leupold which is a good idea IMO. helps prevent those branch shots.
Micro adjust: Not sure why they didn't include this in the original, the loosen the screw method and lightly tap to adjust was a pain on any sight, this one included. Presume the addition of this adjustabity as well as the new mounting options is what has caused the weight to go up on the sight from 15oz to 18 oz i think is what i read. could be wrong on the exact weights but it did get heavier.

other then those options, i am not sure what else they added to it, I am sure there are some software upgrades/etc.

has me tempted to buy it as i am tired of my spot hogg hogg father which is a beast of a sights, and i was leaning towards an axcel landslyde, but perhaps i will go back to a garmin now that there is the ability to shoot farther with it. Woud need to see how simple it is to do that though. wouldn;t be a useful feature if i have to take 2-3 mins to set it up every time.

Marble

WKR
Ive shot several tournaments with guys that have those sights. It seems like a pretty cool idea but each have had their issues in low light, dark targets are difficult at times, small branches or other obstacles in the way to ranging, distance has been limited.

I like the manual method of using a tape, building a chart for the course and letting it rip.

For hunting, a multi pin gives me everything i need.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk