Garmont Pinnacle

Huling

FNG
I recently posted this review on Garmont's website and thought it could help some folks out here as well:

I’ve been using a pair of the Pinnacles for almost a year. In this time, I have put on somewhere around 300 hard miles on these boots. Hiking has been a mix of steep and rocky, carrying loads (40+) in Hell’s Canyon to steeper and rockier, carrying heavy loads (65+) in the Wrangell Mountains.
My pair of Pinnacle boots measure 7 inches tall from the floor to the top of the back of the boot, and 9.5 inches tall from the floor to the top of the tongue. The boot fits, to me, a bit narrower than Meindl and Lowa. The Pinnacle, to me, is as narrow as Scarpas or Mammuts (read classic mountaineering fit) which is what I was looking for. The break-in period for these boots took about 50-60 miles, as is to be expected with a full shank; full grain, one-piece leather boot. After break-in, these boots have been extremely comfortable and have held up very well. These boots are very stiff, having a full shank, allowing for excellent support while side-hilling and steep accents/descents while under load. The lacing system does a great job, coupled with the heel pads, of locking in the heel of my foot. I have experienced zero heel rub. While stiff, they are comfortable enough for me to hike all day, and when at camp often will leave them on rather than opting for camp shoes. The Vibram outsole is quite grippy on wet rock until temperatures get below freezing, at which point the grip isn’t as good. This is not a knock on the Pinnacle, every other boot I’ve owned has been like this, break out the micro spikes and problem solved. Coupling these boots with a pair of gaiters during wet weather has kept my feet consistently dry with no leaks to date. The rubber rand on my other boots has cracked and peeled quickly, the Pinnacle is holding up very well with no peeling or cracking. The Pinnacle, along with every other boot I’ve owned, benefits greatly from an aftermarket insole. Customer service advised and I would wholeheartedly agree, go one-half size up with the Pinnacles, as they run a bit small.
Overall, I have been very happy with the Pinnacle. This is a tough boot that fits MY foot well. The Pinnacle has also kept my feet very dry and comfortable in extended drenched conditions. This boot is at the Pinnacle of my list for quality and I would not hesitate to pick up another pair of these boots. When I finally wear this pair out.

I should also note Garmont North America’s customer service was a pleasure to work with.

Hondo

WKR
Well thought out and informative review. I have had a couple of pairs of Garmont Dakota boots and they have seved me well. Those Pinnacles look like the real deal.