Gas and inflation impacting your fall?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will change my scouting plans this summer. Diesel fuel prices right now have me wondering if anyone's ever hunted out of a Prius...do they make a roof rack for those?...lol
Not a prius but I've taken a car down some sketch two tracks. Got do whatever it takes to get out there.
5d21176199637c6d450c54ebbece879a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
^^^^ Bingo.
I’m headed to Oklahoma next week to hunt hogs.

I’m spending my kids inheritance
I just got back from Oklahoma Hog hunting last night. Sucked to pay for the gas but was so worth it.

Laramie

WKR
I think the really noticeable difference will be the recreational fishing and small or upland game trips people take. Might be a good fall to pheasant hunt with fewer people in the field. As far as big game goes, the western states will definitely sell their tags. Point creep may go down on the less desirable hunts though.... probably wishful thinking.

WyOwen

FNG
Won’t change anything for me.. I’ll just be sad for a bit at the gas pump.

Azone

WKR
For those of you planning on car jacking the wife and not wanting to deal with blood drama, go get a bunch of cheap rolls of painters plastic and keep a few old newspapers on had for an absorbent pad.
The wife was NOT happy when I pulled in the driveway one time and had a dead hog in the back of her GMC Terrain. It slid off the tarp a little bit and I had some extremely colorful words said to me because of it.

S.Clancy

WKR
A one man limit of geese and ducks along with a decoy bag fits perfectly in the back of a prius. Never had a need to put a deer in there.
Duck hunting machine and my low profile archery antelope and turkey rig.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_180612_346.jpg
    IMG_20191006_180612_346.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200129_070617_793.jpg
    IMG_20200129_070617_793.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 41

ndayton

WKR
Just FYI for those trying to stuff bloody animals into cars. It isn’t necessary. Find the gutless method on YouTube and just cut that thing up. All you need to be able to fit is cooler. I have been using an SUV since 2006 and never had to put a bloody animal in it. Drive what you have, just learn to process in the field and enjoy.

Will keep the wife off your back also
I drove a 03 Honda CRV for a few years, packed 5 elk countless deer and bears doing the same method. Got tired of the ass end dragging loaded down but I could take that thing just about anywhere.

It will change my scouting plans this summer. Diesel fuel prices right now have me wondering if anyone's ever hunted out of a Prius...do they make a roof rack for those?...lol
Apparently you can get a prius lift kit.

Netherman

WKR
Just FYI for those trying to stuff bloody animals into cars. It isn’t necessary. Find the gutless method on YouTube and just cut that thing up. All you need to be able to fit is cooler. I have been using an SUV since 2006 and never had to put a bloody animal in it. Drive what you have, just learn to process in the field and enjoy.

Will keep the wife off your back also

FYI on this FYI.

Make sure you have the cooler plugged. Ask me how I know…

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I think we are not looking at this issue in it's entirety. The increase in gas prices now will effect everything in our lives. Food prices being a big one. I think it is safe to say that the average household will be short roughly $500 per month just between gas and groceries and that might be a serious understatement. If my house is short $500 per month from now to September or October my hunting plans will definitely be different. I might end up putting off my out of state antelope hunt until next year.

I think we are not looking at this issue in it's entirety. The increase in gas prices now will effect everything in our lives. Food prices being a big one. I think it is safe to say that the average household will be short roughly $500 per month just between gas and groceries and that might be a serious understatement. If my house is short $500 per month from now to September or October my hunting plans will definitely be different. I might end up putting off my out of state antelope hunt until next year.

Depends, I have a friend that convinced his wife that his tag fees should come from the grocery budget...

But the reality is that this is just another factor to add in on most costs. Labor has gone up, now transport and many processing costs, then packaging as well.

“Inflation around the U.S. reached a new 40-year high in February, with consumer prices jumping 7.9% from a year ago — the fastest annual rate since the Reagan administration.

Rising costs of energy, housing and food drove the increase, the Labor Department said on Thursday. The price of energy has surged 26% over the last year, sharply increasing the cost of gasoline, fuel oil and natural gas for home heating. Groceries were up 8.6% from a year ago, while clothing rose 6.6%.”

Nicely done everybody. Everyone enjoys breaking records.

I just got back from Oklahoma Hog hunting last night. Sucked to pay for the gas but was so worth it.
Did you use an outfitter or was it a diy hunt?

I had made a DIY hunt trip there mid March. Was all free range still hunt/spot and stalk. Got up on a group but then got greedy trying to get the "biggest". Long story short. They moved behind a huge rock and never emerged out the other side. Evidently turned and walked straight away behind the enormous rock. (Lessons learned and will be better prepared next time! Fun time regardless was 35 yards from them and could have sealed the deal on several--just not the biggest one...) Hindsight!!