GAS Ghost strings - break in period?

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
For those that have gotten the Ghost strings.. did you feel like they had any break in period? I got my first set in, but I'm supposed to shoot a tournament next weekend. I'm just shooting it for fun, not a true competitive archer. But I don't have a lot of chances to shoot during the week to sight things back in..

Wondering if you had these new strings would you be worried about breaking them in? Or just go ahead and swapem out. I know I can't really go go wrong either way. Just curious to hear folks' opinions. Thats what the internet is for right?

I haven't had much issue at all with custom strings after u got them sighted back in. No experience with gas but the set that's on my helix now I haven't touched since I put them on and dialed the bow in

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Joey30809

FNG
I’ve had mine on my bow for about 1,000 shots now. I had very minimal peep twist. My ATA, poundage, and brace height haven’t changed either. No major serving issues and very minimal fray. Super consistent IMO.

My advice is to keep an eye on them.

I have seen several sets of the ghost creep. They ended up getting replaced with 452x. Not saying it to scare you, hopefully it was just a bad run, they were all new around the same period. Couple months of outdoor shooting and they were moving.

MattB

WKR
My advice is to keep an eye on them.

I have seen several sets of the ghost creep. They ended up getting replaced with 452x. Not saying it to scare you, hopefully it was just a bad run, they were all new around the same period. Couple months of outdoor shooting and they were moving.
It warms my heart to read that someone else knows the difference between creep and stretch. Although I think that mostly means we are old. 😀

The GAS set I have is my first and settled down with just a few shots.

It warms my heart to read that someone else knows the difference between creep and stretch. Although I think that mostly means we are old. 😀

Man, I'm sounding old now.

Well what threads you running on yo rig?

That better?

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
It warms my heart to read that someone else knows the difference between creep and stretch. Although I think that mostly means we are old.

So now I’m curious. What’s the difference between creep and stretch? Is it as simple as degree if effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So now I’m curious. What’s the difference between creep and stretch? Is it as simple as degree if effect?

Creep is permanent elongation. Aka the string got longer causing your bow to lose time.

Stretch is temporary elongation returning to the same length when the force that caused them to stretch is removed.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Creep is permanent elongation. Aka the string got longer causing your bow to lose time.

Stretch is temporary elongation returning to the same length when the force that caused them to stretch is removed.

Well now I’ve learned something today. Thanks!

MattB

WKR

To add to that, stretch in the string material used to be something that was needed with older recurve and long bows to soften the impact of the shot on the bow and reduce the potential for limb tip damage. Dacron string material had a little stretch/give to it so it was easier on the bow (minor shock absorber effect). Once the stick bowyers started reinforcing the limb tips, it allowed the use of newer low/no-stretch materials.

Most people who are newer to the sport have been taught incorrect terminology as most will call creep "stretch" in this day and age. As a result, most guys under 40 will look at you like you have a 3rd eye if you correctly call it creep instead of stretch.

Apologies in advance to anyone who has a 3rd eye that I have offended by my comment above.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
To add to that, stretch in the string material used to be something that was needed with older recurve and long bows to soften the impact of the shot on the bow and reduce the potential for limb tip damage. Dacron string material had a little stretch/give to it so it was easier on the bow (minor shock absorber effect). Once the stick bowyers started reinforcing the limb tips, it allowed the use of newer low/no-stretch materials.

Most people who are newer to the sport have been taught incorrect terminology as most will call creep "stretch" in this day and age. As a result, most guys under 40 will look at you like you have a 3rd eye if you correctly call it creep instead of stretch.

Apologies in advance to anyone who has a 3rd eye that I have offended by my comment above.

I appreciate the lesson. Thank you.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

But why do string builders call it stretching the strings when the build them??????
Shouldnt it be pre creeping?????

But why do string builders call it stretching the strings when the build them??????
Shouldnt it be pre creeping?????

Actually even the really stable strings have a little stretch.

That's why they should be served under tension, I think a lot of places put around 400 pounds of what I'd call pre-load on them to then serve.

Creep is the term for fatigue when the material actually deforms.

Stretch is just the elasticity it can regain from without deformation.

Atleast that's how is see in in my mind. Kinda some metal terms in there, but that's what I'm more familiar with. I ain't no seamstress.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Actually even the really stable strings have a little stretch.

That's why they should be served under tension, I think a lot of places put around 400 pounds of what I'd call pre-load on them to then serve.

Creep is the term for fatigue when the material actually deforms.

Stretch is just the elasticity it can regain from without deformation.

Atleast that's how is see in in my mind. Kinda some metal terms in there, but that's what I'm more familiar with. I ain't no seamstress.
I was bustin Matts balls....